Thread: Smoker with Catfish ready to smoke.

Default Smoker with Catfish ready to smoke.

Here is 2 shots of my smoker with catfish hanging in it. Ready to be smoked. There great out of the SmokinTex smoked. I have people that told me they have never liked catfish other then deep fried. Until they try one that has been smoked.
    Sorry for not having the after shots. but always in a hurry to eat, And forget to take the after shots. But there a golden brown color. I use Dowel rods cut to 18" to hand them on.
    Pete

Luke Clayton here. Did you cure the catfish first? Looks like an easy way to prepare whole smaller cats.

Quote Originally Posted by luke clayton View Post
    Luke Clayton here. Did you cure the catfish first? Looks like an easy way to prepare whole smaller cats.
    Yes I have cured them from 4 hours up to 24 hours. And have found that about 12 hours works out best. Watch the salt amount. AS you will get one or 2 out of a bunch. That will take up more salt.
    It is easy and everyone that has tasted them. Likes them a lot.
    Ate first i would cover them with just a bit of black and red pepper. But it does take extra to come out spicy.

Pete

How long did you smoke them and at what temp? Cure, such as Morton's tender quick, penetrates meat and fish a quarter inch per side in 24 hours which equates to a half inch per day (both sides).. IF you only left them in the cure for a few hours, then, I assume you hot smoked them at 200 or higher? It would be unsafe to cold smoke unless the meat/fish was throughly permeated with the cure...

How long did you smoke them and at what temp? Cure, such as Morton's tender quick, penetrates meat and fish a quarter inch per side in 24 hours which equates to a half inch per day (both sides).. IF you only left them in the cure for a few hours, then, I assume you hot smoked them at 200 or higher? It would be unsafe to cold smoke unless the meat/fish was throughly permeated with the cure...
    Luke I do not use Tender Quick in anything I do. Not good for the old heart.
    Also mine is done at 210 degrees. AS there eaten right after coming off the smoker. Not being saved for weeks. Also thickets part of the fish on most is 1 to 1 1/2 inches.
    The soaking in the brine is just for the taste not curing.
    On 3/4 lb to 1 lb whole fish around 3 hours . So far I have not been lucky enough to have a whole lot of the same size fish. So the time has not been the same. If I get back home in time this week. I will have around 25 or so on the smoker for Sunday.
    PEte
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

Yes, I've read mixed reviews on the use of Nitrates and Nitrites, also salt. How much salt do you use in the brine? Are the fish submerged in the salt brine?

Yes, I've read mixed reviews on the use of Nitrates and Nitrites, also salt. How much salt do you use in the brine? Are the fish submerged in the salt brine?
    Luke sorry for not getting back to you on this.
    AS the fish are being eat right after being smoked. I am only using 1/2 cup salt to 8 cups of water. And using 2 cups of brown sugar to this also.
    The fish are under the brine and I place a plate on top. This allows everything to be held under.
    Did 24 whole fish yesterday evening for church. And not a fish was left. Everyone loved them.
    And agian I forgot to get a photo of the finished fish. Hope I get better at his.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

How are the fish attached to the string?
    Thanks
    Steve