Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Makin Bacon

Default Makin Bacon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon Thunderbyte.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	443
    Im putting 2 bellies in the smoker this weekend and thought I would share some pics from a couple years ago when I made some. I make bacon often, but always end up giving lots of it away to friends and family.

Len

Default good job

Luke Clayton here. That is some GOOD looking bacon! I make it from wild hogs and there is very litttle fat. The finished product is good tasting but doesn't look like "real" bacon like yours does. How long did you cure it? Dry rub or liquid? How long did it smoke and on what temp?

For cure I use 1 tablespoon Morton's Tender Quick and 2 tablespoons brown sugar for every pound of meat. I just rub the sides of pork real good then put in a big bag and toss in the fridge. I flip them once a day to keep the juices rotated on the meat. Even though they are dry when I bag them, the salt pulls some of the moisture from the meat so it starts as a dry cure but ends up being a liquid.

After curing for 2 weeks on average, I rinse them real good and soak in cold water with some ice, about 1/2 hour. Finally I let dry them with paper towels and let them sit at room temperature about 1/2 hour.

Into the smoker set at 175 degrees for an average of 6 hours to an internal temp of 145-150. Then fridge for at least a few hours to make slicing easier. Lately Ive been asking my butcher for lean sides and he hasn't let me down yet. Its hard to tell what I have until I start slicing it. Maybe I will post a few more pics on this current smoke tomorrow, if I remember to take the pics that is!
    ST1400 and loving it

VERY informative. That's just about the way I do mine except I've been using much leaner cuts,from the wild hogs. Is purchasing the sides from the butcher and making your own bacon cheaper than just buying cured bacon? I'm betting it is and I KNOW it's a whole lot more fun.
    I usually have a surplus of wild pork, especially from now until warm weather sets in in April. I've cured the loins, ever shoulders cut in half with bone removed, it's all been great eating. thanks for your input! Luke Clayton

I have done the math and I really dont save much, if any money by doing it myself, but your right, its fun. There are a couple reasons I like to make my own bacon. Its a hobby and I like to mess with my recipes. I also like bragging rights. Not many people cure and smoke their own bacon so when I give them a pack (and I give ALOT away) it makes me proud.

I have never tried wild pork but a leaner cut sounds good. The only wild pig I ever had the opportunity to meet was my ex wife, but thats a whole different story!
    ST1400 and loving it

I plan on killing a few wild hogs here this winter. And will give them a try. I like the looks of your bacon.
    Will be making up a batch of Buckboard bacon in a few weeks. I like it also.
    Pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

What is the best wood to use for bacon?

For me it would be pecan or maple.
    pete
    Proud owner of one of the first of 1500's sold when they were more like a test smoker
    Doctor told me years ago to quite smoking, So I quit cold turkey. But will never quit smoking with my Smokin Tex 1500

I just joined these forums, neat place.
    I like to use cherry wood for my bacon. I get whole sides from a local asian market - they cut their own pigs and sell a high volume to a selective customer base. The result for me is high quality bellies without any need to special order, they are consistently leaner than when I special ordered through other butchers.

The bellies come skin on, I have learned removing it it far easier just after smoking.

I use a similar dry cure technique but I use Prague #1, salt, & brown sugar. I apply the dry rub, vacuum seal it in a long foodsaver bag and flip them once or twice a day for two weeks.

Default First attempt a success!

This thread was very helpful. Thanks to all who have offered advice here.

Smoked my first belly today basically as described by Thunderbyte. I believe it is the best bacon I have ever had.

I have a market that sells to me at cost. I paid 0.69 per lb for a 10.5 lb belly. How does that compare to prices you guys see?

Big B