Thread: smokers help to first place

Default smokers help to first place

Buckeye Back Ribs is a mobile food cart that opened three months ago. We own two fine smokers from smokin tex (the 1500 cxld and a 1500 c). The first weekend in August we participated in the Canal Winchester Blues and Ribs festival in Ohio. The festival was a two day event hoping to draw 30,000 and hosted 12 other rib vendors. At the festival we had a poor location that put us off the main strip of rib vendors. The first day of the event didn't go well for us. Everyone at the festival was on the main strip and we only saw a portion of the large crowd. We were hearing good things about our ribs from the few customers we were able to salvage. The second day of the event was a different story. We sent out some employees to pass out samples. The word started to spread that we had the best ribs. This worked so well that we were able to draw the customers we needed to succeed. We were booming! We were able to produce over 300 slabs of ribs(some were precooked) and turn in our competition ribs in one day. We ended up winning first place for best ribs(the trophy stands about 3.5 feet high)! My buddy and i have had this business for only three months and we sell out of ribs every time we set up. The Smokin Tex smokers help us produce some of the best ribs i have ever tasted. Our customers seem to think so as well. We were able to beat barbeque masters who have been smoking for years. I think these smokers have a lot to do with that success. The smokers are very easy to transport, set-up, and clean. They are extremely durable and very cost effective compared to others on the market. I have never had any problems with these smokers and they keep producing award winning ribs time after time.

Bravo!
    Congratulations!

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyebbq View Post
    Buckeye Back Ribs is a mobile food cart that opened three months ago. We own two fine smokers from smokin tex (the 1500 cxld and a 1500 c). The first weekend in August we participated in the Canal Winchester Blues and Ribs festival in Ohio. The festival was a two day event hoping to draw 30,000 and hosted 12 other rib vendors. At the festival we had a poor location that put us off the main strip of rib vendors. The first day of the event didn't go well for us. Everyone at the festival was on the main strip and we only saw a portion of the large crowd. We were hearing good things about our ribs from the few customers we were able to salvage. The second day of the event was a different story. We sent out some employees to pass out samples. The word started to spread that we had the best ribs. This worked so well that we were able to draw the customers we needed to succeed. We were booming! We were able to produce over 300 slabs of ribs(some were precooked) and turn in our competition ribs in one day. We ended up winning first place for best ribs(the trophy stands about 3.5 feet high)! My buddy and i have had this business for only three months and we sell out of ribs every time we set up. The Smokin Tex smokers help us produce some of the best ribs i have ever tasted. Our customers seem to think so as well. We were able to beat barbeque masters who have been smoking for years. I think these smokers have a lot to do with that success. The smokers are very easy to transport, set-up, and clean. They are extremely durable and very cost effective compared to others on the market. I have never had any problems with these smokers and they keep producing award winning ribs time after time.
    OK, How did you take first? What kind of deals were you getting on the side? Did you get any tattoos or give them any gold pants? What pawn shop were you dealing with? How about a new car? LOL!!!

Just messing with ya. I couldn't resist.

Nice job!

I would like to enter some BBQ cook offs sometime.
    Last edited by SmokeRing; 08-16-2011 at 09:44 AM.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Way to go!!!

Take a dive once in a while though. I've heard a couple places are starting to ban electric smokers. Word is it's not "true BBQ". Inside scoop is the charcoal guys can't adapt, and want to eliminate whole areas of their competition.

Congrats, and Smoke on!

I know I am late to the party on this thread but I was reading bigwalleye's post about electric smokers not being "true BBQ" and I just gotta comment:

I presently have over 1,000 lbs of Kingsford on my patio and nobody loves charcoal cooking more than I do but...........

if you get down to the basics of Que it is heat-smoke-meat.......it doesn't matter what your heat source is, it is still BBQ!! If you want to sit outside shivering stoking the coals and tweaking vents all night like I used to, that is your choice. Don't be hating on us that are getting a good nights sleep while our creations are cooking away in gentle moist steady heat!!

Look at the cost per cook: might cost under two bucks for electricity and a couple chunks of wood for a brisket cook whereas it would run me around 10 bucks to do a brisket in my off-set: -1- bag on Kingsford blue and about -8- mini splits of wood that I had to chop myself.....just no comparison...if you want to work hard for your Q, more power to you...just don't slam us for wanting to take it easy and have the same/better results!!
    Got Smoke?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Just re-read this older post. Wait a minute. Just to clarify...I never said it wasn't true BBQ!!! only that some charcoal guys are trying to claim it to eliminate competition, and some competitions are banning electric.

Congrats on your success, Buckeyebbq,

I too, have heard that several competitors and competitions alike do not want electric smokers near their competitions.

I am proud of your success, and if I were good enough to compete, I would do the same. Tell the nay-sayers to eat some ribs and be quiet
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all