Thread: Sealing of door?

Default Sealing of door?

Hi,

I just got my 1400 and like it so far. I did have one question though. For the first two smokes, on initial startup I get quite a lot of smoke coming out the top side of the door. Probably a little less comes out the door than what comes out the vent hole, but it seems like a lot to be coming out. I was under the impression the doors were supposed to seal so tightly that this shouldn't happen. Is this normal and should I be concerned?

Thanks!

BigMac...I have never had that problem...I would give it a few more cooks and see if it seals....if not, I would call SmokinTex. They are a great company and will fix you up!!!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

I sent Smokin Tex an email and they said that it is fairly common for smoke to escape initially, but after a few more cooks the creosote will build up and should seal it off. Some internet searches have seemed to confirm the same. The food so far has turned out fantastic, so I guess it is hard to argue with that!

I have had my 1400 for about 2 weeks and have cooked on it 8 times to date and the leaking will become less and less as you season the unit....

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I think Smokintex engineers them that way as a teaser for yourfamily & neighbors....

Seriously, it'll stop once you season it a little more.