Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Injecting Pork Butts

Default Injecting Pork Butts

Just wanted to express my opinion about injecting or not to inject pork butts.

After a full night of smokin two pork butts, I have determined that injecting them with my mixture was a tastier and moister way to go. I didn't inject the butts last night, hence; a less tasty butt. So, from now on I will prepare the butts with my typical injection sauce.

BTW, My typical injection sauce consist of:

1/2 Cup Apple cider vinegar
    1/2 Cup Water
    1/2 Cup Apple juice
    1/2 Cup sugar
    1/2 Cup salt
    1/4 Worcestershire sauce

Mix until dissolved and inject evenly throughout the shoulder.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

SmokeRing....sounds like the injection I use except for the"apple cider vinegar". I use Chris Lilly's injection and it does not include the cider vinagar....may have to try it your way.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Hi SmokeRing,

I like the flavor obtained by injecting pork butts. The amount of injection fluid that I use is about 2 cups per 8 pound butt. I think the added fluid increases the cook time to reach the 195f internal temp that I want for pulling.

What is the internal temp you look for? What would your cook time be for approximately 16 lbs of pork butts?

Thanks,
    applejack

Hi applejack,

The last two butts were not injected and only took them 9 hours to hit the target of 195f. Generally, it takes 14 to 16 hours for smoking two butts injected with the smoker set @225. I use a Maverick 732 wireless thermometer to monitor the smoker and the internal meat temp.

I am going to set a target of 190f on my next smoked butts. I usually
    FTC for a couple of hours so they're still cooking when I pull them from the smoker and FTC.

Happy Smokin,

SmokeRing
    Last edited by SmokeRing; 09-06-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

A good variation on the theme is to substitute apple sauce for the apple juice or water. Seems to hold the moisture inside even better.

SmokeRing,

What do you mean by FTC?? Federal Trade Commission? Forget To Cook? ???

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley View Post
    SmokeRing,

What do you mean by FTC?? Federal Trade Commission? Forget To Cook? ???
    Hi Wiley,

What some people do right after they pull the butts from the smoker is double wrap in FOIL then wrap in a large beach TOWEL then into a dry COOLER for at least an hour before pulling it. So, the term FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler). This allows for further break down (Collagen) of the muscle and allowing the moisture to penetrate the meat.

When you break open the pork butt the steam just rolls out.. MMmmmm..... I 'm already hungry just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mneeley490 View Post
    A good variation on the theme is to substitute apple sauce for the apple juice or water. Seems to hold the moisture inside even better.
    Nice variation to the water mneeley490. I'll try that next time.

Thanks,

SmokeRing

Thanks SmokeRing,

I have always done the "FTC" with both pork butts and briskets, I just hadn't seen that abbreviation before.

mneeley490...have you tried using the applesauce? Will the injector handle it?

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"