Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulled Pork Question

I notice that the recipe above calls for boneless butts.

I have always used bone in. Anyone have an experience with boneless? Are they just as tender and fall apart as the bone in versions?

Many thanks, in advance. I look forward to your responses.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

D,
    I've done the boneless thing, and they're the bottom half only of the butt as far as I know. I've done a couple, but prefer the mix of texures, since the top half is more like ham and the bottom more like a pork roast. There's something about heat and the way it works on a bone, so I prefer to do the whole butt.

Besides, the whole butt is 9-10 pounds, enough for friends or some friends and lunch tomorrow. A half is about 4 pounds, takes almost as long for half the meat. If I'm in a bind, I'll run a couple "bottoms", but prefer the whole butt for the variety of textures. The boneless bottoms come out just as tender.

Walleye,

Just the answer I was needing to know, but never asked.

Thanks!

D

One of the ways I like to cook buts is to load up the smoker and set it for 200*. They are done when they are done, and they can't over cook, pretty much ever. It can take 24 hours or more for them to cook, but you can keep them in the smoker for days without losing any quality at all. If I am having guests over multiple days, I always use this tactic, though sometimes I will put the butts in foil trays once they hit 200* internal and leave them in the smoker at 170*. I've held a butt this way for 5 days and when I pulled it, it was as fresh and delicious and tender as if I had just cooked it.

You really have to try to screw up a butt.

While I use a Maverick 732 dual temp probe, I would bet that after smoking many butts that I could just do it by time. They seem to turn out perfect everytime. I'm doing one tonight without any worries in the world. I'll sleep like a baby.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

I've had my butt in the smoker for 19 hours, but only because I want to hold and then take to dinner across town. Three different neighbors have asked me what is for dinner!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

DReeves...your butt is done my friend....10lb usually only take 12hrs.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

BillyBob,

Yes! I always use my Maverick, making sure to hit 195-200. I did hit 200, around 18 hours. Then I held until dinner.

Nothing left, completely cleaned me out. Happy chef

Update: I smoked two boneless butts from Costco.... first time to use boneless.

First issue is that I believe my Maverick is trying to go out on me.... was not reading high (appeared to have stalled) and after the correct amount of time, I opened the door and checked temps with my thermapen. They were higher than the Maverick was reading.

Second issue, may be related to the first, they came out a little dry. Overall, I think I will stick with the "girl who brought me to the dance".... bone in butts.

Thought I would share my experience.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

The bone and the fat is where the flavor's at. DON'T DITCH THE BONE.