Thread: Turkey/Chicken Brine & Rub Recipes

Default Turkey/Chicken Brine & Rub Recipes

Hi Smokers/Smoker-ettes,

Thought I'd share a brine recipe & rub that I use for Chicken &/or Turkey. Though I'm fairly new
    to smokin..this has received rave reviews from veteran smokers.

Juicy..the skin falls off when you pick up the bird..so be careful !

Feel free to experiment to taste..but if you cook it breast up, ur on ur own..

Smokin is a learning experience - I've found that out..

Cheers,

dan-L

Brine Recipe:

Dan-L's Chicken/Turkey Brine (10 lbs of bird - adjust for size)
    1 1/2 gallon water
    3/4 cup kosher salt
    2/3 cup sugar
    3/4 cup soy sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoon
    tarragon
    thyme
    black pepper
    garlic pwdr
    ginger root pwdr
    smoked Paprika
    2 tsp worcestershire
    2 tsp fresh rosemary <-- fresh from the plant if u can
    1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    Start by boiling the water and then adding the salt and sugar, so that it will dissolve easier. Then add the other ingredients to the hot liquid so that the flavors are extracted. Cool the brine solution.
    Note--do NOT put hot or warm brine in the bag.. that will cook ur birds. U must let the brine solution cool..preferably overnight.
    Put the bird in doubled turkey bags, add brine solution, zip-tie bags & put in a bucket. Surround
    the bags with ice. Leave for minimum of 12 hours
    When doing chickens, I've put 2 5lb chickens in the same dbl bag.
    Upon completion of the brining time remove the bird from the brine and wash twice for at least 30 seconds in fresh water. Dry with paper towels. Store in fridge. Bring it out to room temp onday of smoke.
    Attached Files Attached Files

What temp do you smoke the birds?

I smoke around 225, but use ur probe. I pull my chickens out @ 155-160, foil/towel wrap and place in
    cooler for about 30-60 minutes.
    Pull my turkey about 170 & do the same thing.

I prefer to cook them on the lower end of the scale & let the foil/wrap do the final cook.

First time I smoked the chickens, I pulled them at 168, did the FWT & they cooked
    a tad too much.

Obviously, if you're going to serve right away, you can cook to temp, omit the FWT & carve away!

Default Forgot to mention

Quote Originally Posted by IBDANL View Post
    I smoke around 225, but use ur probe. I pull my chickens out @ 155-160, foil/towel wrap and place in
    cooler for about 30-60 minutes.
    Pull my turkey about 170 & do the same thing.

I prefer to cook them on the lower end of the scale & let the foil/wrap do the final cook.

First time I smoked the chickens, I pulled them at 168, did the FWT & they cooked
    a tad too much.

Obviously, if you're going to serve right away, you can cook to temp, omit the FWT & carve away!
    BTW - I put the probe in the breast.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Danl, Sounds like a great cook. Can you throw me a ballpark time at 225 to achieve 155-160? That way I can work backwards for a rough idea of a start time.

Thanks, and Smoke On!

Hi 'bw',
    Mine avg about 5 hours. Still getting used to my new 1400 & experimenting with amount
    of smoke + temp adjustments. If your box can maintain 225, then 5 hrs is about right.
    I know in my old Bradley those were the times.
    Let me know

Cheers,

Dan

I'm smoking a turkey this weekend in preparation for doing the same for Thanksgiving. Is the 50min/lb rule of thumb (seen in the Smokin-Tex recipe) reasonable if I set the thermostat of my 1400 t 225? Yes, I've got a thermometer and plan to smoke until I hit 170 degrees. It's just that the 5hrs listed here and the 9 or so hours I get at 50min/lb are rather different and I need to plan when to start. I've got an 11lb turkey...

225 is a great temp. Put your probe in the deepest part of the breast. I follow what the USDA recommends, 165. I pull at 160 and wrap in foil, allowing the meat to rest (great recommendation for all smoked meat, letting it rest).

The meat will continue to rise in temp while resting, usually about 5 degrees.

Sounds great, Xyxxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
    I'm smoking a turkey this weekend in preparation for doing the same for Thanksgiving. Is the 50min/lb rule of thumb (seen in the Smokin-Tex recipe) reasonable if I set the thermostat of my 1400 t 225? Yes, I've got a thermometer and plan to smoke until I hit 170 degrees. It's just that the 5hrs listed here and the 9 or so hours I get at 50min/lb are rather different and I need to plan when to start. I've got an 11lb turkey...
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all