Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokin tex PID install something a little diffrent

Default Smokin tex PID install something a little diffrent

Well, I couldn’t resist the urge to install a PID. I did my best to be as minimally invasive as possible. I drilled one hole in the back for the 9 pin connector, two small holes in the bottom behind the smoking chamber to mount SS relay and the heat sink and one small hole in the back of the smoking chamber to mount the thermocouple. All of the wiring I left in place except for removing the wires from the thermostat and moving them down to the high voltage side of the relay. There are enough threads on wiring a PID up so I will not go into that.
    The stainless box, I made myself out of some scrap I had laying around the shop. I will eventually put a brushed finish on it to make it match better and hide the weld spots. I have learned so much form all of the members here, I thought I might give something back. I hope this may help someone else looking for a different take on a good mod.
    Oh and yes this thing works perfectly. The pictures are from the initial testing and it hadn’t gotten up to temp yet.

I will give more details but its bed time now. Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by Theiskel; 03-18-2013 at 12:01 AM.

A couple more photos

I forgot to say, the PID is just setting on top so I can remove it and take it in out of the weather when not in use

Wow!

Very impressive craftsmanship!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Very nice job!!!!
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Thanks guys,
    It’s nice to hear positive comments from people with similar interests. I will make something that I think was a job well done and bring my wife out to look at it and she will say “oh that’s nice” knowing she doesn’t give a crap, she is just appeasing me.
    I said I would give a little more information, so now that I am coherent.
    One of the things I was worried about was the thermocouple connection. I have heard when you extend the wire from them you can get incorrect readings. In my case it did not seem to affect it. I checked the readings against two other probes I have here. One of them was a maverick and the other was a Fluke and all read within three degrees of each other. I can live with that!
    Since there are six connections that come from the PID I used some 18-7 S/O cable that I had from other projects in the past. I think I got it from McMaster Carr. The switch and connectors came from RadioShack. The plate for the nine pin connector I made myself but you can get the same thing from McMaster Carr also; I just didn’t want to wait for it to come in. Besides making the box this was pretty easy project that just about anyone can do if your google-fu is strong.

I like your work. Did you take any photos of the install/wiring? i know there are other threads but yours is a little different, I think people would be interested, I know I am. did you wire in a second meat probe? a parts list would be great,thats exactly what I want to do. It would be nice to see how you weed it.

Quote Originally Posted by MR-Q View Post
    I like your work. Did you take any photos of the install/wiring? i know there are other threads but yours is a little different, I think people would be interested, I know I am. did you wire in a second meat probe? a parts list would be great,thats exactly what I want to do. It would be nice to see how you weed it.
    The wiring is the same as any other PID install. The only difference is I extended the wires through the 9 pin plug. you can find the connector at radioshack its a common item seen on any computer. i used a solder connection but i think they make one that is a push lock that doesn't need soldering. from the PID there are 6 wires two that supply the power to the PID, two that turn on the ss relay and two for the thermocouple. All of the wires except the power for the PID are low voltage typically 24 volts. The power for the PID is 110 volts, but it only uses a small amount of current so you do not need a heavy gauge wire for any of the connections up to the PID. 20 or 24 gauge wire is more than enough.

I didn't wire in a second temp probe because the PID i used would not accept it. i just used my maverick for the meat temp.

If this doesn't help you piece it together I will go more in depth with pictures if necessary. I am at work now so no access to the smoker at the moment.

This is how mine is wired maybe this will help

Thanks Theiskel, this will get me started. If you have some pics of the in side wiring that would be great, if you get a chance to post. very nice job on the box by the way.

with the new PID controller can you get a higher temp then just 250??