Cool Tri-Tip anyone???

Has anyone smoked a Tri-Tip??

Here is what I hope to get ....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tri-Tip.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	105

If you have please post all the details ....

• Size
    • Rub
    • Wood
    • Temp
    • Smoking Duration
    • Holding Time
    • Pictures if any
    • Samples if possible (LOL)

[/LIST]

Thanks
    Bob

I've recently found tri-tip here in Dallas so I gave it a try. Twice now. Turned out well both times. I applied a rub/ marinade and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours. Took it out and let it rest for about half an hour then put in my 1400 at 225 with about 6-8 ounces of hickory and oak chip combo. Stuck my thermometer in and for about a three pounder it took about an hour and a half to get to 125 degrees. It'll look like a brown shoe on the outside. Took it out, wrapped it in foil and stuck it in a turned off oven for about 45 minutes to let it rest. Right before dinnertime I fired up my gas grill to maximum heat and seared the tri- tip for about 2-3 minutes per side to get some char. Carved real thin across the grain. Very tasty and not overpowering smoke flavor.

ajax...thanks for the info...I have not tried it yet!!!

BillBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Thumbs up Ti-tip

Smoked my first ones about 11 years ago when I got my ST1400 while living in central California. They turned out quite well and still do.

I do tri-tip here in San Diego all the time . Like it better than brisket. I prepare mine pretty much the same way....rub real good(very important). Once internal temp of 170 degrees has been reached, I take it out of smoker, wrap in foil and let sit for25 minutes. Then I get the meat slicer out and cut THIN slices. Never have leftovers. Very moist.

Pull at 135 deg. let sit tented for about 10 min. then slice thin across the grain. Tri Tips are best rare to med. rare. I 've been cooking Tri-Tip for the 40 years and Ball tip for longer than that. The only thing I miss with the smokin tex is you don't get the nice charred bark like in the picture above, but they do come out nice and tender and juicy . and I'm too lazy to fire up the Q to sear them off, if thats the case I'll just throw them on the treager. I'm cooking for 250 people this sunday for my friends Dads Funeral. 150lbs of marinaded Ball Tip, going to use my Smokin Tex's. set it and forget it, or at least till the temp. probe goes off at 135,wrap in foil and into the ice chest with towels.