Thread: smoked turkey questions

Default smoked turkey questions

I just watched the video for smoking turkeys and Scot suggests 30 to 35 minutes per lb at 225 and to lay the bird breast side down. Now in teh recipe section it says to lay the bird breast side up and to figure about 50 minutes per lb at 225. I am going to smoke until I reach the correct internal temperature, but which one of these times is the closest to being correct and which way is the best to lay the bird. In the video the bird appeared to be laying in some type of cradle. Maybe that makes a difference. This will be my first Turkey in the Smokin Tex.
    I plan on using Scotts recipe and was wondering if you leave the orange rinds in the bird cavity while smokin?

Thanks
    Steve

You can smoke breast side up or down whichever you like.
    We like breast side up.
    Happy smokin.

Steven...first of all...please don't cook by time!!!!!! Always try to cook by internal temperture. As far as breast up or down....think about it...breast up...all the moisture goes to the back....breast down....all of the things for flavoring inside of the bird is seeping into the breast. I love the breast and I want the most flavor there. However, you can cook anyway you choose to do so!!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

BillyBob,
    Thanks for the replies and inputs. I am going to try it breast side down. I will cook by internal temp, but was curious about the time suggestions ranging from 30 to 50 minutes at 225. I am guessing the SmokinTex folks are being cautious to ensure no one is eating a raw bird.

Thanks again for the quick replys
    Steven

Steven...the 30 to 50 min per lb is just a guideline depending on the size of the bird....just about all cooking times are just a guideline.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

I have done several turkey breasts, and I feel there are three key issues:
    1. Make sure you keep the skin on. I like to rub it with butter to help with coloration.
    2. Cook internal temp to at least 165.
    3. Watch out when you pull the temp probe out of the breast, the juice usually squirts out about a foot. Even wild turkey is incredibly juicy in a SmokinTex.