Thread: First Time making pastrami, need a little help

Default First Time making pastrami, need a little help

Hi everyone
    I just got my smoker this weekend, and I am going to make Pastrami for Christmas Eve dinner (so looking forward it!!!) I have brined the brisket with the following recipe:
    http://ruhlman.com/2011/09/how-to-make-pastrami/

I have two questions. The brisket is a little over 5LBs, fat cap intact, and about 2 inches thick. How long would everyone recommend smoking this little guy? I was thinking i would start it tomorrow night about 10:00 or so at maybe 190 or 200???

Any help is greatly appreciated. THis is my first of many smoking adventures.

Thanks for the help everyone!!!

aaron

Apperrault,
    Welcome to our forums.
    Use this along with our blog and recipes for great smokin resources.
    Take a look at our Customer Videos page on our site for a great video on smokin pastrami.
    Pastrami Video
    Also search pastrami here in our search box on this forum.
    Happy smokin!

Thanks much. For some reason, before i joined the forum, i did a search for Pastrami and got nothing, now when i do the search i find the recipes. I just watched the video and am no SO excited!!! Can't wait for Saturday

Happy Holidays (and Smokin!!!)

The pastrami turned out OK. I think I may have used a little too much wood chips, and for some reason the patrami was not as tender as i would have hoped, but all in all, not bad for a first run on the little machine. I also threw in a small pre-cooked ham for an hour or so after i took out the pastrami for the kiddos, and they LOVED it. Took on just enough smoke and flavor. It is going to be a very fun (and smoky) year!!!