Thread: Turkey breast not as tender as I would have liked

Default Turkey breast not as tender as I would have liked

Smoked turkey breast for four hours , then brought in to finish in oven. Put in oven at 350 degrees. Only took about 30 minutes to get up to 180 degrees on thermometer. It looked perfect, was nicely smoked and juicy, but not as tender as I would have liked.. Any tips from anyone?

ameyer...turkey and chicken should not be cooked to more than 165...if you want more flavor and moisture...add several pads of cold butter under the skin before smoking...this works great for me.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

You didn't indicate what you set the smoker at, but it Seems like there'a tip point where the juices still run clear, but after 165, remember the temp will continue to climb as the bird "rests". I like to pull even a little short, say 163 or 164, knowing I'm going to see it continue to climb even after I remove it. If you removed it from a relatively moist environment of the smoker to a conventional oven, the dry heat is going to pull the moisture from the bird like crazy. Running it up to 180 in addition probably, unfortunately, didn't help your situation. Try another, set the smoker for 225 or so, leave it in the smoker for the duration and pull at 163-165 and see how you like it then. I predict a better result. Whatever you do, keep a good journal and please report back for the benefit of others.

I agree with bigwalleye try his tips and you should have a great turkey