Thread: Thermometer questions....

Default Thermometer questions....

I'm a new smoker user, using the 1500. I'm wondering about thermometers. At the moment, I have two of the old-fashioned type - one to check the inside smoker temp, and a dial probe to stick in the meat. I've been reading reviews about wireless digital thermometers, and it seems as if a fair number of users complain of wildly fluctuating temps with each model. Do some experienced smokers have an opinion about thermometers?

Thanks!

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Ive got a 732 Maverick. The 732 is a dual probe wireless model. The 731 is the predecessor, but the 731 had an internal antenna, I belive, a shorter range, and the outdoor portion wasn't very waterproof at all, which is NOT a good thing. They cleared it all up with the 732. That seems to be the choice 'round her by a pretty wide margin. There are 2 probes, one long and pionty with a curve in the probe for going into the meat, and another short, straight, with a rounded end, presunably for monitoring internal cabinet temp. I know there are lots of folks here that get pretty intense about the variability of cabinet temp. I used probe #2 for a while to verify the internal temp was in the range (considering as the thermostat cycles on and off, the temp will fall below the set point them climb above before it shuts off, much like your oven or your furnace or water heater). Now I use probe #2 for a second piece of meat! It's not a cheap tool, but it is well made and performs well. Temp, particularly with larger items, is vitally important, and a "guess" that it looks right isn't going to cut it. Being off will only frustrate you.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Ive got a 732 Maverick. The 732 is a dual probe wireless model. The 731 is the predecessor, but the 731 had an internal antenna, I belive, a shorter range, and the outdoor portion wasn't very waterproof at all, which is NOT a good thing. They cleared it all up with the 732. That seems to be the choice 'round her by a pretty wide margin. There are 2 probes, one long and pionty with a curve in the probe for going into the meat, and another short, straight, with a rounded end, presunably for monitoring internal cabinet temp. I know there are lots of folks here that get pretty intense about the variability of cabinet temp. I used probe #2 for a while to verify the internal temp was in the range (considering as the thermostat cycles on and off, the temp will fall below the set point them climb above before it shuts off, much like your oven or your furnace or water heater). Now I use probe #2 for a second piece of meat! It's not a cheap tool, but it is well made and performs well. Temp, particularly with larger items, is vitally important, and a "guess" that it looks right isn't going to cut it. Being off will only frustrate you.
    +1 agreed

I have tried just about all of them and the Maverick 732 gets my vote!!!!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Same Here, I have the 732 Maverick and they "Maverick Ind" are excellent with support.

I have the Maverick 732 also. Great thermometer.