Thread: Help with smoking store bought sausage

Default Help with smoking store bought sausage

Need a little help with smoking store bought sausage. I like the Texas Manhandler sandwich from Famous Dave's which is brisket topped with smoked sausage. So I thought I would try smoking some sausage since I had some brisket from an earlier smoke. Purchased @ 3 lbs of sausage from the local butcher shop.Cut it in 3 pieces and tied the ends together. Hung these from the top rack buy using the rib hooks. Looks good nothing touching etc. Loaded the box with about 1/2 cup of apple chips. Inserted my thermometer into one of the links of sausage being careful to make sure it was in the middle of the link. Set smoker on 200 and set the meat temperature to 165. After 2 1/2 hours the alarm went off for the temperature being at 165. Open smoker and the sausages look good. Brought the sausages inside and noticed they had a really strong smoke smell. I knew right away to much wood was used. I cut one of the links to taste. Not only did it have a bitter taste from all the smoke, but it was not cooked enough. It was not pink but it could have stood to cook longer. Looking for some help from the forum on how you are cooking your sausage.

Anybody smoke sausage on this forum??? I thought the whole idea of the forum was to help fellow smokers out

Scroll down a bit in the question section. I have a post for how I smoke the fresh sausage that I make myself. I am not sure what kind of sausage you were smoking?? WAS it fresh sausage in a casing? I have pretty good luck following the procedure I have outlined. I use a cure and smoke at a lower temp and probably use about the same amount of wood for 15lbs of meat that you used for 3lbs. Too much wood can cause bitterness.

Hope this helps
    Steve

Steve, yes it was fresh sausage in the casing. I agree way to much wood for 3 lbs of meat. My question is on the internal temp. I would have thought with an internal temp of 165 the sausage would have been done.

Sodaking27, you are correct, the forum is to help fellow members with thier questions. However, I don't smoke sausage and cannot answer your question. Not everyone checks the forum daily....be patient and someone...such as Steve, will answer as soon as they can. Have you calibrated your thermometer lately?

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Yes, 165 should be done. I pull my sausage at 156.

I agree, 160 is my pull temp and I ice water bath my sausage to keep the casing from getting tough and shriveled.
    I usually hang and dry the sausage in the smoker with the door ajar at 200 for 20 minutes, then load the hickory chunk (one small piece) and run it to 225 and wait for my alarm to tell me it's 160.
    I usually dry it and pack it using a vacume packer and freeze if we're not going to eat it right away. Thaw and put on the grill until I get the color I like and enjoy.