Thread: Too Much Smoke

Default Too Much Smoke

I smoked two really large racks of St. Louis ribs the other day about 6.5 lbs. worth or so. I used about 6 oz. of apple wood and the bark came out great but they were overly smoke flavored to the point of after one or two you have had enough (never a problem I've had with ribs before)...Am I using too much wood for that amount of meat and if i cut the wood down will the smoke last throughout the 5 hours? Also any tips or tricks to getting whole racks to fit in the 1400 would be appreciated.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Faceecaf,
    While the amount of smoke you like certianly varies from person to person, as a comparison, I use 2 oz of apple wood for up to 4 racks. Meat will only absorb smoke for the first couple hours anyway, so there's not a lot of point, and some downside, to running a lot more wood. Again, there are some folks here that like a LOT of smoke, to each their own. Generally, the addition of more meat doesn't require more wood, unless there's a LOT of meat, like multiple pork butts.

I've got a 1400, but I still cut 'em in half. I think corner to corner may be a better fit, but it's a lot of wasted space. In half-rack form, I can get 3 halves per rack without a problem.

Hope this helps.

Smoke on!

Hi facecaf,

I too have a 1400 and fully agree with what bigwalleye is telling you. Right on point.

The amount of smoke flavor is certainly a personal preference matter and one size does not fit all. It is often helpful to keep notes of your cooking experiences. I find that when smoked meats are frozen, the smoke flavor seems to penetrate deeper into the meat and the smoke flavor is even more enhanced with time.

Best regards,
    applejack

Default Thanks

Thanks guys I appreciate the help and I have been taking notes. Not my first time smoking just my first time with an electric it feels weird not having to tend to the smoker and just sitting there waiting...guess it's something i'll have to get used to. Definitely going to use less wood next time.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

"it feels weird not having to tend to the smoker and just sitting there waiting...guess it's something i'll have to get used to. "

Yah, but it's a GOOD kind of wierd....Don't just sit and wait. Mow the yard, clean the gutters, organize the toolbox, just have a beer and enjoy the freedom of NOT having to tend the smoker. Like MAN MULTI-TASKING....

ditto....ditto all of the above. Reduce your wood by 1/2 and try again. There is a learning curve to the ST but once you get use to it your going to be very pleased....Steve