Thread: First attempts, noticed the oven temperature varies

Default First attempts, noticed the oven temperature varies

I had a busy weekend breaking in my new smoker!

First, I did a 7lb brisket at 225. It took about 13 hours to reach 190 and my ET-732 readings were between 205 and 255. After it was done, I turned off the smoker and unplugged it.

Second, about an hour later I loaded 3 slabs of St Louis style ribs (each cut in half) and fired her back up. This time I turned the knob all the way up, but I noticed it would only turn up to about 240. Ok, no big deal, I'm still monitoring it with my maverick. However, the oven temp range was between 185 and 220. It would not get any hotter, and the probe was in the exact same location. They reached 165 in 6 hours. I put them in the regular oven for for about 45 minutes at 300, then finished them on the grill basted with sauce.

Third, the next day I did a turkey breast. Again I cranked it all the way (to 240) and let her go until the breast reached 165, about 6 hours. This time the range was between 220 and 260.

Even though I was not getting consistent oven temps, the brisket and ribs were AWESOME. The turkey finished late last night so I will try it tonight.

So to reiterate:

Oven Setting Range
    225 205-255
    240 185-220
    240 220-260

Isn't that weird? Also why does the knob stop at 240?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

"Isn't that weird? Also why does the knob stop at 240? "

THAT sounds like a possible recalibration issue.

Some variation above and below set point is not abnormal, but I will say I'm a little stumped at the variety of the variation. Perhaps one of the mods can step in with some ideas.

That's what I thought too.

However I will say that the turkey was mighty tasty as well so even with odd temp variations, I am 3 for 3!

cghefner...both of my smokers will turn to 250...maybe a call to ST is in order!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    cghefner...both of my smokers will turn to 250...maybe a call to ST is in order!!

BillyBob
    Will do it this weekend. Been busy all week so I haven't even had the chance to register the unit yet.

If I'm not mistaken the knob is notched. It might be a simple mater of pulling off the knob and rotating it one notch over.