Thread: Wood Chips vs Chunks

Default Wood Chips vs Chunks

I bought a bunch of bags of wood chips which will keep me busy for a while, and started smoking with them this weekend. In the forums I read that we want to strive for the blue whisps of smoke. The bbq I made turned out excellent but it got me thinking, is it possible that the chips may burn a bit too quickly, producing a lot of smoke in the beginning where the larger chunks will burn slower and more consistent over the course of the cooking time.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I've been smoking primarily with chips and have been very please thus far, but have used chunks as well, and it as just as you suspect. Longer slower smoke rather than a rush all at once. I try to use chunks on a longer smoke, like a Boston Butt, or ribs and chips more on a short smoke, like cheese, seafood, or on something where I might only want a little smoke on something mild, like chicken, or something where I'm just trying to impart flavor, like steaks or pork chops where my cooking is going to be done by another method, like a grill.
    Remember, though, that no matter what you're smoking, 3 hours is about the max for smoke absorption. Anything more than that is only for show and smell to the observers.

Try a couple each way, and experiment. Chips also allow "a little of this and a little of that", like apple and cherry, or cherry and hickory..

It's all good! Smoke on!

I agree with Bigwalleye....however...I use chunks and a couple of pieces of charcoal for all my cooks.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Thanks for the catch, Billybob. Sorry about failing to include that, but I add charcoal as well, 2 pieces on a small cook, 3 on a larger one.

I bought a bunch of chips with my order (about 6 bags) so I will go through those then try some chunks. I have a feeling they will burn slower and give the slower, more consistent smoke everyone strives for. When I did my brisket I added to pieces of charcoal as well and I gotta say, everyone loved the results.

Here's a twist, I actually thought it could have been a little heavy on the smoke, but my wife loved it! Go figure. I always figured she was a keeper, but now I'm sure!

Wait 'til you start experimenting, and try something really mild like apple chips on cheese, or apple on fish. A little sweet, a little smoky, just kind of hanging there.i grew up smoking with apple, and the mild flavor is what really got me fired up about smoking food as a young'un. Don't burn up all those chips. They have their place as well.....

Will do. I used apple chips for my ribs last weekend. They were quite the hit.

If I'm using chips instead of chunks for a longer smoke, I'll typically soak half of them. The dry ones will burn right away while the wet ones will start to dry and will be available to burn after the original dry chips are gone. Works really well for me and gives us just the right amount of smoke.