Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help with cold smoking bacon

Default Please help with cold smoking bacon

I want to cold smoke bacon so i went and bought 3 large pork chops about the thickness of pork belly. I used the cold smoke plate in my 1400 put a pan of ice in it added chops and used 1.5 ounces of applewood. Set temp to 150 for 15 minutes then turned it off and let chops sit for an hour in the smoke i put a glass over the top vent hole to keep smoke in. I pulled the chops wrapped them in saran wrap till i was ready to grill them and when i grilled them they had a real pronounced smoky flavor. Now i read that cold smoking bacon takes 6 to 8 hours at a temp of about 80 but in the smokin tex 1400 I think that would leave to strong a smoke flavor in the bacon. Any one got any ideas on how i could use the smoker to effectively cold smoke bacon? Is it possible? Do i really need 6 -8 hours with an electric smoker? Or should i stick to hot smoking and if so what temp for the smoker?

I don't know about cold smoking pork chops into bacon as I would assume that pork belly or pork side would make the bacon you are after. If you are interested in a hot smoked bacon, I'll share my recipe. I just made 5 pounds of maple cured, apple wood smoked bacon and it is getting rave reviews from all who have tried it. It's really simple and it freezes perfectly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bacon031712.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	147

jfsjazz,

Could you please post your awesome looking smoked bacon recipe?
    Thanks,

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

jfsjazz,
    +1.
    PPPPPPLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE?

Here ya go bacon lovers: (complete with another teaser photo!)

This is for a 4 pound slab of pork belly (AKA pork side):

Crush: 2 Tablespoons black peppercorns
    1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
    2 Tablespoons Juniper berries

Add: 1/4 cup Kosher salt
    2 teaspoons curing salt
    1/4 cup: (your choice): maple syrup (the real stuff, not Aunt Jemima), or, brown sugar or, honey. Or, make your own
    mix of your favorites.

Spread this rub over the pork belly, lay a few sprigs of rosemary or thyme over the top (or a teaspoon of either herb, dried) along with 6 cloves of crushed garlic.

Place the pork belly in a large resealable plastic bag or wrap in plastic wrap, place on a tray and refrigerate for a week, next to your beer. No need to drain any liquid that accumulates, but flip the pork belly daily.

After one week, remove from bag, rinse well under cold water to remove any of the salt and seasonings.

Smoke at 225 degrees until it's reached an internal temperature of 150 degrees. ( I used apple wood chips, 1/2 were dry, 1/2 were wet)

Slice and fry. If there is any left, slice and wrap in saran wrap in portions that will be useful for you and freeze. If you roll each slice in Saran wrap like a fruit roll up, it is very easy to thaw and cook later. Freeze whatever portion you don't intend to use within the week. Should keep frozen for several months, if you can stay away from it that long!!!

I'll be smoking a 10 pounder in a couple of weekends; if anyone is interested, I'll share the results.

Cheers!

Joe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	downsized_0317122043.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	150
    Last edited by jfsjazz; 04-10-2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: wrong pic

Thanks for posting the recipe, Joe. I'm envious, you made the newsletter!

Quick question: Where do I find Juniper Berries?

I bought my pork belly, have all the other ingredients, so I'm ready to go!

Thanks!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

DReeves,

Thanks for the props on the newsletter, but I think it was the bacon picture that sold it for me!!!! Good thing they didn't post my face!!!!!

My search for juniper berries took me to a local store called the Raisin Rack, a health foods store. I could not find them in any of our local grocery stores and couldn't get to my favorite mill, where I buy my spices. I have leftover berries and would be glad to share them; let me know.

For a substitute, consider the following from The Cook's Thesaurus:

juniper berries Pronunciation: JEW-nih-per BEHR-eez Notes: This dark blue spice is used to make gin, and to flavor game and sauerkraut. Crush the berries before using. Substitutes: gin (This substitution works well in sauces that accompany game. Substitute one teaspoon gin for every two berries called for in the recipe.) OR equal parts crushed bay leaves and caraway seeds

Cheers,

Joe.

DReeves, How did the bacon turn out? I need to make more quick as my oldest son is home for the weekend and I'll send whatever is left with him. I'm finishing up a Canadian bacon tomorrow and am excited to see the results.

Cheers!

I must be honest, Joe. I hit a wall, trying to find the Juniper berries. Unfortunately, I have not made any bacon, yet. I would like to, as I have guests coming from out of town in the next two weeks.

Coul you make this recipe without? Substitute? I know, I've slacked on this one. Not a proud moment for me.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Ever try buck board bacon made from butterflied pork butt? Makes a good bacon also which is more meaty.