Thread: Chicken help needed...

Default Chicken help needed...

When smoking a whole chicken,how does one not have the rubber skin that I do?I have used butter and tried veggie oil and tried combo of both.Still no crisp skin.Had to throw away all the skin,but the meat was perfect!

BillyQue,

I havent found a way to smoke a chicken and get a nice crispy skin in the smokin tex. This isnt a design flaw, its the nature of the beast. Your cooking "low and slow" so there isnt enough heat to make the skin crispy, at least as far as I have found. If Im looking for a crisp skin, I will smoke the chicken and pull when its "almost" done. Then I throw it on a hot grill for about 4-5 minutes and that crisps the skin up nice. My experience has been that the skin is rubbery when smokes. Again, its a result of cooking it slow while retaining a lot of moisture in the smoker. I have also heard of others hitting the skin with a torch to crisp it up. I know this sounds crazy but using a torch in the kitchen isnt that unusual in specialty kitchens.

As a matter of fact, I plan on throwing my turkey into a 500 degree oven for the first 30 minutes this thanksgiving, then reducing the temp to 350 to finish for the remainder of the cook. This will give me a great golden skin that will get me many oooohhhhsss and aaaahhhhs when presented at the table!

Try the grill trick next time for your chicken. Might be the trick your looking for!
    ST1400 and loving it

Default Thanks Thunderbyte..

Hi,thanks for the info,will try the grill today as I have a few leg quarters to seperate and season this morning.Will write back and let ya know how they turned out.

Default Rubber Chicken Skin

Place a pan of water on the second shelf just above the wood.