Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Who are you and what do you do?

Hi Ken,
    Saturday is the opener for the Iowa Dove season. Last year was the first year we were allowed to hunt doves in Iowa. I sure enjoyed hunting them and eating them. I pick the little things all the way out. I ahven't tried any in the Tex Yet.

Todd here. I am "technically" a sand and gravel broker. If you can put in and dump it out of a dump truck of any configuration, I can sell it. Any Earth material.
    Was a professional drummer since I was 16. Ask me about tinnitus sometime. Was first inspired to grilling by my dad. Was a big night when I was allowed to start the fire in the cast-iron kettle grill he had. Never see those anymore. Now curing, smoking, grilling & roasting meat is a way to really relax and have fun. Born & raised in Texas. I'm a good horseman and a lousy roper. I can generally hit what I shoot at but couldn't catch a fish if it jumped in the boat. Current passion is Blackjack. It is "beatable", if you know what i mean .
    Married 38 years, she was barely 18 and myself 19. Guess what we did.... A LOT. She's a great gal and I'm more than blessed to have her in my life.
    Two great sons, 37 & 32. Two Maine Coon cats and 4 strays. My younger days working at the SPCA will always stay with me. Everyone should experience it. Enough rambling....
    Oh yeah... I LOVE MY SMOKIN' TEX.

Hello ALL.

My name is Jack. I might as well join in the group instead of just standing on the sidelines like a wallflower. Thank you BillyBob for starting this thread.

I have lived in the North Central Texas area for over 36 years. I have been retired for several years following a 50 year working career in the printing/flexible packaging industries. My best friend and I will celebrate our 60th Anniversary this December. There are days I know that I must be at least 3 days older than dirt. I have an insatiable curiosity about everything and am always trying to learn. I enjoy cooking and good food with an occasional glass of fully malted beer or a glass of wine. I have been known to make a batch of home brew or wine. The local craft breweries make it better than I ever could. Really enjoy my ST 1400 - sure has made me look like a better cook.

Best Regards,
    Jack
    Last edited by applejack; 09-07-2012 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Par View Post
    Hi Ken,
    Saturday is the opener for the Iowa Dove season. Last year was the first year we were allowed to hunt doves in Iowa. I sure enjoyed hunting them and eating them. I pick the little things all the way out. I ahven't tried any in the Tex Yet.
    I am tempted, but concerned about smoking dove. I only split the skin and pull the breast meat. When I smoke chicken/turkey, it has to have the skin to hold in the moisture. No skin on the dove breasts, and I sure am not going to pluck those little things. Maybe if I wrapped them in bacon and smoked them???

Applejack....Jack...Thanks for joining in. Glad to hear from you!!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Cool Howdy Billy Bob

I'm a old Air Force aircraft mechanic turned Insurance Adjuster. I have have been cooking & grilling for the last 30+ yrs. New to smoking but for the last 4-5 weeks since I've had my 1400 I've smoked 2 or 3 chickens, a turkey, some brisket, 3 pork butts on 2 different occasions, potatos, some semolina flour to make pasta with and cold smoked some pork belly to make my own bacon... The wife and neighbors all now ask "so whats in the smoker this weekend?" I think the wife is worried we might have to buy another freezer... Always looking for something else to smoke... On the adgenda next is probably some stuffed jalapenos, maybe some sausages... who knows what else.. Any Ideas/suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Par View Post
    Hi Ken,
    Howdy Steven,

Good to see another Iowegian here...

Hey...time to update...we have new members!!!!!
    Thanks

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

I am not a new member, have been around for almost a year. I am an IT Professional in Dublin, OH. I love my SmokinTex rig. I don't get to use it as much as I want, but it is amazing. I think I have been most succesful with Bacon and Pork Butts.

I am a Quality Engineer for a MFG that makes line support clamps and discreet cable/harness assemblys...don't be to impressed with the job title......basically a inspector that wears many hats these days!! It's a modest living but I sure like a steady check!!
    Got Smoke?