Thread: Temperature variation

Default Temperature variation

i dropped a probe down the vent to monitor the temperature inside the oven while i seasoned it for the first and second time. the temperature inside ranged from +/- 30 degrees around 215 or 220. Is that typical?

It's typical for that wide of a temperature swing, but don't let that concern you. I've never worried and my cooks come out just fine. Just remember to keep the door closed during the entire cook and you'll be fine.

Good luck,

Smokering
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I agree with Smokering. Mine varies as well. There have been some folks on here that have made various mods, and not to turn this into a modification fight, but to each their own. Be your own judg. Water heatersm ovens and furnaces have some variability built into them as well, and folks are generally pleased with the performance of those appliances.

Hello and welcome hufferD,

As eloquently said by Smokering - it is typical and that is exactly how most oven/appliance thermostats operate. Initially this temperature swing phenomena bothered me enough to investigate precise temperature controllers. The more I looked into it and the more cooking experience I gained, the more at peace I am with how my smokinntex 1400 functions as built. Somewhere I read that 'the meat you are cooking acts like a heat sink and sees the heat source as a average'. I totally agree with this.

Just keep on smokin and enjoying the finest eating possible.

applejack

If you lay your temperature probe on top of the heat shield right above the heat element you will get a consistent heat output - that being said, I have found that I can more or less control the output with the temp dial....works fairly well for me and allows me to see that there is a constant setting.

Completely normal for the Smokin' Tex. Forget it and smoke away!!