Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brine Babybacks?

I used to brine my ribs and I have found a better way thanks to Famous Dave. Season your ribs with some chopped onion and black pepper. Then pack dark brown sugar heavily on each rib and stack em on top of each other. Wrap em up tight and stick em in the fridge overnight to get happy.
    In the morn, wipe off the sludge from the ribs and use your seasoning of choice. Stack em up and wrap em again and stick em back in the fridge to get even happier.
    Toss in the Tex when you are ready to get smokin.
    If you want to take your ribs to the next level, have a charcoal pit set up for grillin at the end of your smoking session. Set your ribs on the grill and keep flipping them over and over till ya get a nice char...you can baste if you wish.......the layers of flavor will make your tongue jump out of your mouth and thank you!!
    Last edited by sundown; 09-13-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: changed a word
    Got Smoke?

Sundown,

Thanks for the awesome suggestions. I'll give this a shot for my next racks.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I think you will like the results. It seems like a little extra work but I think the extra steps are worth it!! I have noticed some have had undercooked ribs after -5- hours and the little bit of grill time sure takes care of that!!
    Got Smoke?

I've left my ribs for 6 + hours.... during a party.

The smokintex works great as a holder.... i simply lower the temp and pull racks when needed.

Thanks again for the great ideas!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

One quick question: I see where you rub in onions and black pepper, and brown sugar, cover and keep over night in fridge.

Then you wipe and rub with your own rub, and suggest the fridge again. Overnight? A few hours?

What have you found that works best?

Ooops my bad....wipe off the sludge the next morning and apply your rub and rewrap and fridge for that days cook or even the next day if ya have to. I usually start the process of onion,black pepper and brown sugar the night before I want to cook them. The rub is for about 2-4 hours. I usually start the ribskies at 10 am cause I like to eat round 4-5 in the evening.....
    Got Smoke?

Very nice. Thanks for clarifying. Cannot wait to try.

One other thing about Famous Dave's recipe. Here comes the old "Ginger vs Maryann" controversy.............he says not to remove the membrane!! He just scores the membrane in a X type pattern. He says after all the hours in the smoker and once it hits the grill you will never know the membrane is there!! I have tried with and without the membrane and I can not tell the difference...........

oh......MaryAnn!!!!!
    Last edited by sundown; 09-13-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: capitalization needed
    Got Smoke?

Interesting point.... something to ponder.

I was always a Maryann person myself.... as Ginger seemed a bit too pretentious for me..... But hey, to each his (or her) own!

Besides, Dawn Wells (MaryAnn) still looks real nice these days, where Tina Louis ( Ginger) looks like she fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down!
    Got Smoke?