Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: st1400 not coming to temp

Default st1400 not coming to temp

I am sorry if this has been posted, but I couldn't find my specific question. I had read before I got the unit about temperature swings and issues like that, but my issue is the smoker not getting to temperature. I have had it set at 250 for several hours but it hasn't gotten above 198. What potential fixes are there for this? I just got the smoker this past week and seasoned it and have cooked some things on it (pretty decent, but need to experiment more), but I find it odd it won't break 200 degrees.

I am going to turn it off and open up the door and then try it again later once it cools down to ambient temp. THanks in advance for the help.

Just a thought. Check to see if there is a packaging piece that is near or around the temp sensor element. Maybe you have overlooked it and is inhibiting the unit from proper temp.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

Hello dstack,

A couple of questions please.

Are you operating your smoker with nothing cooking?
    What are you using to measure the temperature of your unit? I strongly suggest that a digital thermometer thermocouple fed through the vent hole is usually the best way.

If you are already doing this then a call to SmokinTex is in order. They will gladly help guide you and get you on the road to a whole bunch of fantastic eating.

Welcome to the forum and best wishes for a quick and painless fix for your problem.

applejack

dstack... let me know what you find out, I just bought my ST1400 several weeks ago and I am curious because when I have it set to 250 the temp gets to around 204-208 and will not go any higher. Meat comes out great but it adds too much time as I am not patient

Applejack nailed it. I recommend the two of you, Bwalk and Dstack, follow his steps.

The customer service @ SmokinTex is second to none. They really do set the bar high.

Good luck to the two of you. Report back, let us know what happened.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

That is good to know about their outstanding customer service as I need to speak to them regarding my cart stand arm welding broke as well during shipping. Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. I noticed my meat was taking forever to cook, so after 19 hours for a two 3lb pork roasts, I turned the empty unit up to 250 put an oven thermometer inside and a digital thermocouple through the smoke outlet for redundancy. after letting it come to temp for 1.5 hours the reading on each tool was 198.

I spoke with Scott, from smokin tex today and he offered some advice and said it seems my thermostat is running cool. He is sending out a new one for me to install, which should be easy enough. So far customer service is great and the product other than faulty thermostat seems built like a tank. final results on meat were great, just pretty long.

Will update once I change the thermostat. Thanks for all the advice.

As promised, here is my update after the replacing the thermostat:

A few days after talking to Scott I received the replacement thermostat and an awesome smokin' tex t-shirt (great bonus and stellar customer service. I had a chance over the weekend to install the new thermostat. Took about 15 minutes to install for me, and for the record I am not necessarily a handyman. My only recommendation is to wear gloves and long sleeves when dealing with insulation to prevent itchiness.

After installation I turned the thermostat up all the way up to 250* and let it sit for an hour closed. Reading on digital probe was 248*. I opened it up and the oven thermometer confirmed the reading. I believe these things are rated at +/- 2 degrees so I am going to say the Smokin' Tex is right on. Scott detailed how I could confirm an accurate reading for the thermostat, and I may do that in the future, but as long as I can get at or near my temp above 200 I think I should be golden without having to take a bunch of readings.

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. Here is a brisket I pulled off this morning after smoking for about 3 hours at 235* with some chicken and sausage and then dropped down to 215* overnight for an additional 9 hours after removing the chicken and sausage. This thing will turn out some great food and I am very happy with the end results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brisket.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	209

Awesome, Dstack!

I can tell you that Scott and Diz are the best, as are everyone @ SmokinTex. What a great organization.

Happy to hear you are on the road to smokintex heaven! I love smoking butts and ribs. Does this make me a porker?

Enjoy your weekend!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I lay my digital right on top of the shield right above the heating element. This gives me an accurate heat output and has worked quite well for me.