Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy Deans Maple Sausage

Default Jimmy Deans Maple Sausage

I love this stuff. I used Jimmy Deans maple sausage and smoked it for 3 hours at 225.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0796.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	210

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	94.6 KB 
ID:	211

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	214
    Last edited by nitzo; 07-15-2012 at 11:59 AM.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

nitzo, lookin good!

I'd disliked Jimmy Dean sausage for years until I tried it in the smoker. Always too greasy, not much flavor in the frying pan. . I've run a lot of these and they're sure tasty. Try rolling the sausage out to 1/2 inch think between two sheets of saran wrap, peel off the top layer of wrap, then put a can of hash on top, roll that out under the wrap, peel that layer of wrap off, add 3 scrambled eggs, then roll the whole thing "jelly roll style" and smoke. HOLY COW.

Bigwalleye...I am sure you know those are called "Fattys". You can put all kinds of fillings in them and they are great!!!!

Nitzo...you can use any brand of sausage...you can also use ground meat of all kinds...they are unlimited...they are geat and make great appetizers!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Got to give those a try again. It was the first thing I tried smoking right after receiving and seasoning my ST. Talk about too much smoke. I think I had put 3 large chunks of hickory in the wood box. I've come a long way since then thanks to all the valuable info on this form. BillyBob - I must give your recipe a try. Nitzo - Happy smokin and keep the pictures coming.

BillyBob,
    Right on re: fatties!

I think that's spawned an idea for a new thread......

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post

I think that's spawned an idea for a new thread......
    Thank-you...................

Is their a trick to these?

I tried this and they came out dry. I love Jimmy Dean maple, and I love the idea of smoking them. Just hate dry meat.

Any advice?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Is their a trick to these?

I tried this and they came out dry. I love Jimmy Dean maple, and I love the idea of smoking them. Just hate dry meat.

Any advice?
    What temp and time did you use? I run 225 for about 3 hours to a 165-167 internal, I have pulled them and wrapped in foil for a half hour and that helps moisten em up a little more...

I smoked at 225, but my thinking is I may have gone longer than 3 hours. I will try again, watch my internal temp, and wrap in foil to allow the meat to rest. I should have done those things to begin with, as I would have with any other meat I smoke.

I'll chalk this up to a weak moment on my part

Thank you, bigwalley
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I know this is an old thread, but I finally found some JD Maple sausage at my local store. Smoked it this morning with a chunk of apple wood. 225 for about 3 hrs (169 internal). Wrapped in foil for about 30 minutes afterwards. Damn! Gotta do this again!!