Thread: How many ribs? One full slab or four? Confused...

Default How many ribs? One full slab or four? Confused...

I am new at this game and trying to learn. This is the best site to do so. I have noticed some posts about adding liquid, such as the "333 Method." But, doesn't the amount (weight) of meat (i.e. ribs) you are smoking make a difference? Many of the suggested methods sound great to me, but I am confused about how to alter them depending on the weight of what I am smoking. Thanks!

Smokin Dav...welcome to the forum!!!! You said 333...I hope you ment 3-2-1....and I'm not sure what you mean about adding liquid. The liquid I along with most is to the foil when you wrap them. It has been my experience that thickness of the ribs are the thing that might add a little time. Almost all of the ribs will be done in 5-6 hrs....sooner with higher heat. If this did not answer your question...let me know.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

smokinDav,
    Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you aboard. When smoking large cuts of meat, time is going be a factor, such as a whole turkey, a brisket, or a pork butt,but TEMP is where it's at. Ribs is a somewhat different matter. While a lot of use the 3-2-1 or some variation, there isn't a lot of increase in time with more ribs. While I'm a baby back fan, I have run St Louis style, and do prefer a little more time there due to the thickness of the meat and a cartilage/fat layer that I like to break down. A searh here will give you more info on times and temps, wood/charcoal mixtures, rubs, and a bunch of stuff you've not even thought about yet. Don't be afraid to ask, and, when you're ready, to share.

Again, welcome aboard and Smoke On!