Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ribs came out super dry?

Default Ribs came out super dry?

So this isn't my first rodeo although I am a new member to the SmokinTex family. I cooked three slabs or ribs for Memorial Day weekened (2 baby backs, 1 St. Louis) and they came out dry as the bones they were attached too. Now this is the third time I've made ribs on my 1400 the first two the smoke was way to much but the ribs were juicy and tender this time the smoke was right but soooo dry and a little tough. The baby backs were in for 4 hours on 225 and the St. Louis were in for 5 at the same temp. Not really sure what the hell happened anybody else have this problem before. Its awful embarrassing especially when you have pumped out amazing ribs from an offset 100's of times and your friends are expecting the same.

Try knocking the temp down 10 - 15 degrees with the same amount of time and i'll bet you'd be fine. For the last hour wrap them in foil and spray them with concentrate apple juice from the frozen can style.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

The 1400 is a complete different application than the offset. You proably are used to basting on the offset...this is a different concept. These smokers operate compelete different. The drippings create steam which mositens the meat in the smoker. I find that a higher temp and a Maverick 732 will do wonders for your leaning curve.
    If you want them to {fall of the bone) and be great try this:

Rub the night before and wrap in foil or plastic wrap.
    Rub again before placing in the smoker.
    Smoke for 3hrs with about 4-6oz wood at 230.

Pull the ribs and place in heavy duty foil and triple the sheets of foil...add 1/2 cup apple juice...2Tbs honey and 1Tsp brown sugar.
    Cook 1 1/2hr to 2hrs.
    Pull and remove foil.
    Cook for 1hr.

This is a thing I do and don't tell everyone and they are amazed!!!
    BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

BillyBob,

My first thought was the 1400 was heating on the high side, so I wanted to suggest trying to lower the temp to compensate for it running hot. I generally like to be at the 230 range also and have gone to 250 and have had fine ribs. Just keep working with the temps faceecaf12.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

BillyBobs timming Method is Perfect!! I resently bought a 1400 and was mad as hell at it for about a month I could not understand how everything I put on my Big Green Egg and off setters turned out perfect and now I get this smokin tex in hopes of less mantinance and all my food sucks. I was so mad that I called Scott at Smokin-Tex and was ready to rip him a new one. HOWEVER he finally got it through my thick head that his product is very different from off-setter pits, Big Green eggs and certainly gas/Inferred. Anyways I was smoking a pork shoulder/pork butt for the northeasterners. He said try to smoke it like this and if it doesnt work I will send a currier to you and pick it up and refund your money. I was blown away by the custumer service so I said well I have nothing to lose so why not. Best pulled pork I have ever had! And I am a hard critic on myself! I was not smoking the meats long enough. I was so used to uh oh more time means more dryed out. True with other grills not true with the 1400. I do all my ribs now a minimum of 6 hrs Spares, St Louis. Hell I've quit buying Babies why spend the extra money when you can turn out falling off the bone more meaty St Louis style ribs. Trust me Dude I had some embarissing moments on it myself but If you can just retrian yourself a bit you will never want to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    The 1400 is a complete different application than the offset. You proably are used to basting on the offset...this is a different concept. These smokers operate compelete different. The drippings create steam which mositens the meat in the smoker. I find that a higher temp and a Maverick 732 will do wonders for your leaning curve.
    If you want them to {fall of the bone) and be great try this:

Rub the night before and wrap in foil or plastic wrap.
    Rub again before placing in the smoker.
    Smoke for 3hrs with about 4-6oz wood at 230.

Pull the ribs and place in heavy duty foil and triple the sheets of foil...add 1/2 cup apple juice...2Tbs honey and 1Tsp brown sugar.
    Cook 1 1/2hr to 2hrs.
    Pull and remove foil.
    Cook for 1hr.

This is a thing I do and don't tell everyone and they are amazed!!!
    BillyBob
    As soon as I am "un-grounded" from my smoker I am making ribs using your method, BillyBob! Up till now I simply rubbed, smoked, then ate them. Never have attempted wrapping. Thanks for the great ideas
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

faceecaf12 hi i'm new to the 1400 myself did st. louis style ribs this past weekend i did 5hrs @225 on the dial pulled wrapped in foil alittle bbq sauce and alittle juice and back in for 1.5 they were great.i just looked at 5 hrs for the pull back and it was not there yet so i cook a little longer. i'm use to a propane vertical it is a little different with the 1400...bye and good smokin

I have never went past 5 hrs for spare ribs...230...light rub......no foil...remove at the 5 hour mark. There is always some pull back with very tender juicy meat. The thing that I still struggle with is the smoke flavor. I still will get that harsh, bittery smell and taste if I use say 40z of hickory for thre racks of spares. Some of the guys on this forum say they love smoke so they use a lot of wood, but for me more wood equals more bitterness, not smoke flavor. I usually keep the wood at 2ozs and the results are good, but just not getting that authentic smoke flavor....Don't get me wrong, I love my green 1300.

BillyBob, why three sheets of foil and why do you remove for the last hour?

Steve

Steven,

One thing you could try is changing the wood you use. Apple or cherry work great, especially for pork. For me, and my tastes, hickory imparts a bitterness. Just a thought.

And not much wood, either. 4 - 6 oz. is all you need. The SmokinTex is an amazing machine, and the wood is simply for flavoring.

I'll allow BillyBob to address the foil question.

Enjoy!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Steven...I used to use two sheets and somehow, I would spring a leak. Now I use three and still get too rough and spring a leak now and then. The last hour I let the ribs crust again and bast if adding sauce.

The times I have given to everyone is what I use most of the time....adjust to your own taste.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"