Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Ring

Bigwalleye, I will give the chips a try.....thanks
    Steve

Just finished a 12 hour smoke using 6 oz of applewood and three charcoal briquettes. I didn't have any apple wood chips to try out. I packed the charcoal in the middle of the wood chunks so they were touching and they still never burned. just a couple of white corners where they had touched the wood....chips must be the secret to get the charcoal to burn.

steve

I used to get a deep smoke ring when I ran a stick burner and now I never get one but that raises a question. Is the smoke ring more of a visual attribute than a flavor one? I ask that because I really don't miss a smoke ring anymore and my grub is still real tasty!!
    Got Smoke?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I think it's both visual and taste. I like the denser smoke taste on the outside, and will grab for the end ribs off the rack if the wife cuts 'em up. She's on to my tactics, though, and only cuts HER rack on her plate. She knows I won't reach. By the way, did I mention I'm also the chief knife sharpener in the house?

Default Smoke Ring

I have seen on various shows about competition BBQ that the presence of a smoke ring has been removed as a judging criteria.

That is not anything I have experienced or heard of....most of the judges look for the ring and then the pull and the the taske.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

So being relatively new to a ST (love it) - I read all the past threads on the smoke ring, using some charcoal, etc. Seems to be no real consensus. Some say charcoal works, some say no luck. Hate to revive a topic that has been discussed numerous times already but whether visual or not I am used to seeing one (and showing it off to folks). Do I add charcoal? Do I use my barrell smoker for an hour or few and then the ST for the remainder?
    Occupation?? Part time Butcher, Chef, Microbiologist, Scientist and Meteorologist does what pays the bills really matter?

Going from barrell to the ST seems kind of a pain. I say if the final product knocks 'em dead, they won't care about the smoke ring LOL

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I see my local small town grocery now stocks lump charcoal, and I've been itching to fire up the smoker again....I sense a cosmic union about to take place.

If the whole briquette isn't burning,try breaking it up. I used to do that, and everything burned, so tried without breaking, and it still all burned, so didn't bother, but if the charcoal isn't burning, might be worth a go.

If the whole briquette is not burning, try moving it around in the smoke box. I've found that mt ST woodbox has hot-spots. Seems to be the nearer to the door, the hotter it is.

On the SR, I truly believe if you did a blind taste test, 9 outta 10 times you'd never know the difference between a product with a SR and one without. It does look nice but (IMO) has no taste effect on the final product. Whatever keeps the Mrs. happy is the name of my game!
    Wheelz -- Life, Liberty & the pursuit of good Q!