Thread: Help with new smokin Tex

Default Help with new smokin Tex

Hello everyone...Just got a new Smokin Tex 1400. Last night put on a brisket that I had around 13 lbs. Larger than the suggested 10-12 but wanted to use since having. I normally smoke on a Big green egg and get a nice dark coating on the brisket. So far the brisket has been on for around 11 hours at 200 F. Using a Temp
    prob I am reading about 165 F at the butt...I used hickory and couple of pieces of the charcoal prior to smoke. The brisket is very lite in color and the rub seems not infused at all. Just doesn't look right. Any suggestions.

As a side not I am also getting some drainage around the front leg area on the smoker...

Last question...

I would like to put some ribs and potatoes on while also cooking the brisket soon...Do I add more wood to the box and if so how much??

Thanks and sorry about all the questions

ttexan, welcome to the forum,i'm afraid i won't be much help on that but someone with more knowledge will be alond shortly there is alot of info on the past post maybe you can find an answer there. anyway welcome again. good smokin,

Thanks for welcome....However I think will be returning this 1400 Smokin Tex on Monday...My brisket temp after 13 hours is still only 168-170. The Temp inside the box is only reading around 150 when set to 200 degrees...Very disappointed and dont really want to be jacking with the
    temps all the time...My Big Green Egg is more reliable in temp...In fact had to fire the Egg up and put brisket and my ribs on there to complete todays smoke....Just kinda sad because this is a great concept...I wouldnt mind trying again, but dont want to be outside my return date nor
    have more problems down the road.

Call SmokinTex first. Based on what I read here, they seem to have a run of bad thermostats that are not getting hot enough. Others have reported that after replacing it, they have been good. Me, I was in the same boat, and installed a PID instead. All been good now.

yes call st first they have an outstanding customer service . there is a learning curve with the st but they work great when right. i have a brisket in right now its been 19 hrs and just now ready to pull it out at 192, temp dial set at 225. they will make it right and it is a great set it and forget it smoker. good smokin

ttexxan...first of all welcome!!!! These electric cookers are completely different than the Kamado style smokers....they are more akin to a house oven and try to mantain a average cooking temp. I never cook at anything lower than 225....most of the time I am at 230-250 and get better results. I have 3 Kamado style smokers(2 Bubba Kegs and a Vision Pro Kamado) I use a Digi Qll and a IQ 110 on them to maintain a steady temp....with the ST, I just add wood and meat and a ET732 and have fun while the food is cooking. Don't give up....check with SmokinTex and you will love this thing!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Smokin' Tex will make it good. Just call 'em and tell them whats going on. I have a co-worker who was an egger, until he bought a 1400. Now he only grills on the egg, and the 1400 does smoke duty.