Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beer can chicken

Default Beer can chicken

So My plans are to brine and smoke two 3 1/2 pound beer can whole chickens this weekend and i would like some input on cooking times and temperatures for these two birds. I know my goal is 165 in the breast and 170 in the thighs but i want to kind of have all the sides done around the same time. So if any of you have input that would be great... Thanks

I don't think I would brine em since you get such great flavor from the beer and your seasoning and of course the smoke. Probably looking at 3 hours at 225 but ya gotta go off the temp in the thigh....180 if i am correct.......
    Got Smoke?

Ok thank you. I already have them soaking in the brine so we will just have to see how it turns out. Thanks for the advise..

You can even stand them up on an empty can if you wish or just add some water or how about some apple juice? I have some porcelain chicken sitters which allow me to use any liquid I feel like using at the time.

After the brine, rinse the chickens off and pat em dry. Go for the beer, I bet it will be fine!! Try not to use too salty of a rub because of the salt that is in the brine.

I bet your cook is gonna come out great and please play it safe and check both thighs in each chicken to make sure one isnt undercooked!

Looking forward to some pics!!
    Got Smoke?

Chicken was amazing. So juicy and had perfect smoke flavor to it. 2 oz. of applewood was just enough. Cooked 225 for 5 hours. Internal temp said 163 on both breast for last hour and a half. I was hoping it would come up but didn't so i pulled and checked with another probe had the same temp reading but they both were done. After poked juices ran clear so i put in oven for 10 mins trying to crisp up skin but it didn't work still pretty tough but good... I will post some pics soon

Glad to hear your cook came out good!! I tried sprinkling a little cornstarch on my wings this weekend and it made the skin very edible!! Next time you season up some chicken, sprinkle some cornstarch on it and give it a little spray of Pam...I think you will be pleased!!
    Got Smoke?

I was thinking about spraying some Pam on it but i was afraid it would burn the skin. So know that i know that it won't i will be trying it next time. Thanks

I think the biggest mistake that can be made with this type of smoker is over-smoking...it takes just a little wood and I start off with a small amount and decide when I am eating to add more or less the next time......
    Got Smoke?

I agree with that statement..

It is kinda rough coming from an off-set......I must've looked like a crazy lumberjack out back...chopping up wood and warming it and tossing 1.5 foot logs in the fire-box...........

........now it just two little chunks and I walk away...MUCH more civilized!!!! I do have vertical barrel smoker I still use when I get the hankering for oversmoked meat and a long night of heartburn!!!!!!
    Got Smoke?