Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banned KCBS Tenderloin

Default Banned KCBS Tenderloin

This is from Chris Marks of the legendary Three Little Pigs cooking team;

This is from Chris Marks of the Three Little Pigs cooking team:

Here is the reason why KCBS changed the rules in 94 to allow only pork butt in the pork catagory. They had to many complants because the Three Little Pigs won the pork catagory to many times.

World Champion Smoked Pork Tenderloin

INGREDIENTS:
    2 pork tenderloin
    6 Slices of Bacon
    1 Bottle of Three Little Pigs Competition BBQ Sauce

Spice Rub
    1 Tbsp. garlic powder
    2 1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
    1 Tbsp. salt
    1 Bag brown sugar
    1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger

PREPARATION:
    Mix all ingredients together for the spice rub. Generously cover trimmed pork
    tenderloin with spice rub and then wrap the tenderloins in the bacon strips and then pack the tenderloins in the brown sugar in either a zip lock plastic bag or a pan catering tin overnight. Place the tenderloins in the Smoker, cook at 250 degrees while adding 2 small chunks of Wild Cherry flavor wood. Remove from smoker when 155 degrees is reached internal and let sit for 10 minutes, and then glaze with Three Little Pig Competition BBQ Sauce.
    Got Smoke?

Does the rub include the bag of brown sugar or do you just use the brown sugar after the bacon has been wrapped?
    steve

The brown sugar is separate. I have done this recipe a bunch of times and I just use my favorite pork rub (at the time) and then I wrap up the loin and pack the brown sugar on it and then wrap it!! When the loin is done the bacon is like pig candy!!

Other variations I have done is run a slit along the top of the loin and add in a mix of Farmer John sausage and cheese and then use the bacon to hold it all in and then do the brown sugar....outrageous!!

Oh...the bacon might not get crispy enough in the Tex....if it doesn't...there are two ways you can go....the bacon did its job by imparting flavor and moisture to the loin so you could discard it..........

.....discard bacon

or you can have a charcoal grill set up running hot with coals set up for indirect heat and put the loin on there for a spell covered to crisp up that bacon.....trust me the extra step is worth it when you eat that sweet smoked bacon!!
    Got Smoke?

Thanks Sundown. I definately will have to give this one a try.
    steve

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Sundown,
    That sounds incredible. I think I've found my next cook. You, sir, are a gentleman of the first order.

Thank You Sir
    Got Smoke?

Oh wow. This sounds fantabulous

I am headed to the store to start building these ingredients....

Thanks for sharing, Sundown!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Quick question, for sundown (or anyone, really)

How long does it take to get to 155 internal? Also, if you want to crisp up the bacon on the grill, should you pull from smoker earlier, so as to not over-cook on the grill?

Thoughts, anyone?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

DR,
    There's a very recent separate thread on the topic of your question, seems like 2 1/2 to 3 hours is your answer for cook time. I think the bacon crisping question answer is that it goes to the grill once you have hit your target internal temp. I don't guess it'd spend time on the grill to change the internal temp much at all, since it's only there long enough to crisp the bacon.

Thanks, Walleye.

I pretty much came to the conclusion to simply smoke the tenderloin, without the bacon.... OR smoke with bacon, to temp, then place the bacon in the oven or grill to finish.

Placing the tenderloin on the grill after coming to temp in the smoker simply took the meat beyond the appropriate temp, which I did not want. Maybe it was just me.....