Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banned KCBS Tenderloin

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Made another of these wonderful cooks last night. I would ordinarily use about 3 slices of bacon per loin, and smoke with 5 or 6 big cherry chunks and 3 charcoal briquettes. Cook was good, but riddle me this, Batman....
    I used chips instead of chunks, (all out of chunks) and used about 6 pieces of bacon on the small 1.5 lb loin, and lost my smoky flavor and smoke ring. Why? Was it too much bacon to allow the smoke to penetrate or was it too little smoke due to use of chips?

Jim, have you not listened to me....or do you not pay attention to what advice I offer. A hand full of chips will burn soo fast and your smoke is gone . USE CHUNKS...I like alot of smoke in my meat so I use at least 6-8 oz.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Billybob,
    Like training a lab, you may consider my ears to have been duly pulled. However, the "cherry chunk" bucket was empty and Momma wanted a pork loin. Ya do what ya gotta do. I was just curious if a heavier bacon wrap would prevent the smoke from penetrating.

If you have enough smoke....there shouldn't be a problem.

BillyBob

I suppose (staying neutral, down the middle) that if one were to use chips, one could simply increase the amount of chips to account for the said chunks?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

That's what I would have thought, and used a LOT of chips, and that's why I wondered about the bacon wrap. I would normally use 3 pieces of bacon, but this time I used 6, completely wrapped the loin end to end.

C' mon ya'll.....think about it......burn some chips on a grill and then burn some chunks....your shunks willl smolder and give off more smoke!!!!!!

IMHO.....DO NOT USE CHIPS IF YOU WANT GOOD SMOKE.

BillyBob

I use chips entirely, I wrap them fairly loosely in foil (enough to almost fill up the chunk tray) & insert a couple of charcoal bricketts on the end outside the foiled packet. A full foil packet will smoke for several hours which is perfect for me. I use pecan hulls for beef & apple or cherry chips with pork.