Thread: Hate to do it...

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Default Hate to do it...

I really hate to follow a thread on porkloin smoking with this, but...I saw a bunch of spam posted on the boards earlier today, and notified the admin, but it got me to thinking...

Anybody ever smoke SPAM, the Hormel product?

I mean hey, if you can make a fattie out of Jimmy Dean pork sausage logs, I wonder how smoked SPAM would taste?

Jim....score it....add some rub if you want and cook to 155-160. Use any temp you want...just bring it to 155-160.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

I'm going to try it.....NOT
    unless I'm having a luau.

Challenge accepted!! I'm gonna do it.

I have 2 butts in right now, preparing for an all-nighter starting at 11, and when I wake up I'm going to toss in 2 fatties and the Spam.

Good thing it's cold in the Northland, else I'd be fightin' off some wild-eyed Hawaiian!!!

Film at 11......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-10-28_12-29-35_818.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	243
    Well, here's the result. It's still warm, and while it's a little saltier than cold right out of the can, I would have expected that, since I have had fried spam with eggs and that was saltier as well. A nice smoke coat as well, and I've got it in the fridge chilling. I think the smoky flavor is going to be a nice add. I'm pretty pleased with the result. While I wouldn't run a whole smoker load of the stuff, it is a nice little "throw in" along with a couple fatties to complement a larger cook.

PS It's really good cold. Nice smoke flavor, not greasy like the "out of the can". I could see this as the basis for scrambled eggs and Spam, or finely chopped in a spread, or as a cold sandwich meat.
    Last edited by bigwalleye; 10-28-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Jim...how long did you smoke it....mine has a lot more smoke. I don't know about you....but I like it every now and then!!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

BillyBob,
    I was in for about 3 hours at 230. I had a couple butts running from the night before, and in the morning I added a couple fatties with temp probes in along with the spam and a handful of apple chips, and when the fatties reached 165, I pulled the Spam and the fatties.