Thread: New Here....

Default New Here....

Hello,

After so much research and not being able to decide i took the plunge and my new 1400 arrived tonight. Have so say after inspecting the unit it really seems well buit and hoping it will last a long time!! I also bought the cold smoke plate and jerky dryer to get me going(b-day gift to myself). I have the break in wood going now so i can start smoking asap!

I have owned a masterbuilt in the past and took me awhile to get over the sting of that! just hope the one i talked my friend into lasts longer than mine did!

Looking foward to reading, learning and hopefully giving some input in the future.

Thanks

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Flash,
    Welcome to the forum!
    You'll find most of us here did the same research. Funny how once you start looking, we all found the right road here. The sting from my Masterbuilt (all 2 hours of ownership on 2 different units) vanished in the first puff of smoke from my 1400. You won't regret your 1400. You'll be able to give your friend the benefit of your new knowledge soon enough.

Run a nice porkbutt and all will be good.

Remember the mantra 'round here:
    1. Get a good dual probe digital read thermometer and use it
    2. Chunks not chips (most of the time)
    3. Keep a journal with times, temps amd results
    4. Ask questions. There's nothing you can want to smoke that somebody hasn't tried, even SPAM. Ask me how I know.
    5. Low and slow is your friend.
    6. A few charcoal briquettes add a nice smoke ring

We're all here to help each other. No one knows everything, but a lot of folks here know a quite a little 'bout a whole lot of stuff, and everyone is willing to share.
    Don't get discouraged, and SMOKE ON!!!

Flash....welcome and I know you will love this smoker!!!!!!

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Flash,
    Welcome to the forum!
    You'll find most of us here did the same research. Funny how once you start looking, we all found the right road here. The sting from my Masterbuilt (all 2 hours of ownership on 2 different units) vanished in the first puff of smoke from my 1400. You won't regret your 1400. You'll be able to give your friend the benefit of your new knowledge soon enough.

Run a nice porkbutt and all will be good.

Remember the mantra 'round here:
    1. Get a good dual probe digital read thermometer and use it
    2. Chunks not chips (most of the time)
    3. Keep a journal with times, temps amd results
    4. Ask questions. There's nothing you can want to smoke that somebody hasn't tried, even SPAM. Ask me how I know.
    5. Low and slow is your friend.
    6. A few charcoal briquettes add a nice smoke ring

We're all here to help each other. No one knows everything, but a lot of folks here know a quite a little 'bout a whole lot of stuff, and everyone is willing to share.
    Don't get discouraged, and SMOKE ON!!!
    Thanks for the info, look foward to learning more as i go. Went to the store after work bought some chicken wings, pork butt and cheese(think im ready) tried out the cold smoke plate with my cheese and like it alot so far!!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Flash....welcome and I know you will love this smoker!!!!!!

BillyBob
    Thanks BillyBob, think i made the right choice.

Welcome flash, I've had my 1400 for 1 1/2 years now and it's been my best purchase when smoking. I haven't had any problems and I smoke hundreds of pounds/yr. Maybe even thousands. Have never really counted. Anyway enjoy your smokin and don't hesitate asking questions.

Smokering.
    I think the world is wearing bi-focals, I'm the only one with perfect vision. 'Paul Newman" in "Cool Hand Luke"

Thanks for starting this thread, Flash; I'm new here too, also new to smoking & hope to learn lots here at the forum. Shopped around the "web", have had my 1400 for a couple of weeks & just from the posts here I know I'm glad I skipped the Masterbuilt phase.
    Love the friendly support system of Smokin' Tex!
    Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hello,

After so much research and not being able to decide i took the plunge and my new 1400 arrived tonight. Have so say after inspecting the unit it really seems well buit and hoping it will last a long time!! I also bought the cold smoke plate and jerky dryer to get me going(b-day gift to myself). I have the break in wood going now so i can start smoking asap!

I have owned a masterbuilt in the past and took me awhile to get over the sting of that! just hope the one i talked my friend into lasts longer than mine did!

Looking foward to reading, learning and hopefully giving some input in the future.

Thanks

Welcolme sk00kum....I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy and let us know it you need any help.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Thank You!
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Welcolme sk00kum....I think you made a wise choice. Enjoy and let us know it you need any help.

BillyBob

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Welcome aboard, sk00kum!

Lots of info, and lots of friendly folks here. Kind of the "added benefit" to a Smokintex! Get that thing fired up and you'll never look back. I have friends and relatives with other brands, some charcoal, some LP, some electric, but it seems like I'm always the one doing the smoking...The silence is deafening....