Thread: Just bought new toy for my 1400...

Default Just bought new toy for my 1400...

Christmas came early. Went out and got this:

ThermoWorks TW8060

Ordered the probes from Auber Instruments instead for much less money. If they don't work out, I will buy from TW.

Looking forward to the next smoke. This is replacing my Maverick, which wasn't bad, but the remote always lost sync anyway, and evidently I just ruined the last probe that was working. Didnt realize they shouldn't be submerged. Guess it was just an excuse for a new thermometer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tw8060_z_a.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	246
    Last edited by djousma; 12-14-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: added photo

Djousma...don't know much about that....let us know how it works out.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Djousma,

Don't keep us waiting! How did this work out?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Haha, sorry about that. New unit works great. Checked both probes in boiling water, and ice water, and are calibrated very close. Near instantaneous reading. In addition to purchasing 2 standard meat probes with 60" leads(from Auber, much cheaper), I also bought a direct connect meat probe(no wire, it just sticks out the end of the unit like a Thermapen). I have been using that in the kitchen a lot to take internal temp readings on the tenderloin we did for christmas day.

The unit has a very large temp range, so it can also be used for other kitchen uses(candy thermo, etc), although I haven't used it for that. The other interesting feature is it has a min/max temp recorder which can be reset on demand. There is a temp alarm on channel 1, channel 2 does not. I think the unit was originally designed to have one probe for meat(with the temp alarm), and the second probe for measuring internal smoker temp.

In all very happy with the purchase. and thanks for asking. Attaching a photo of a chicken I was doing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130112_152747_905.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	256

EDIT: I should have also added that the unit is very well made, lightweight, but solid. I feel like it is more of a "professional grade" unit. We'll see how it holds up over time.
    Last edited by djousma; 01-12-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Does this company make a remote unit?

I ask because I am spoiled, and really enjoy not going outside to see what temp my smoker and meat are currently reading

Quote Originally Posted by DReeves View Post
    Does this company make a remote unit?

I ask because I am spoiled, and really enjoy not going outside to see what temp my smoker and meat are currently reading
    I dont believe so. They have a pretty comprehensive website.

Question about your new ThermoWorks. I have one too (not same brand tho) and it is wireless so I can place the probe into the meat. The probe connects to a transmitter and I can take the receiver with me in the house. My question to your is ... Do you just insert the probe periodically when you open the smoker to test the temperature? Or, do you somehow thread the probe into the smoker and leave it in the meat so you don't have to open the smoker each time you want to test the temp?

Curious to know.

America's test kitchen reviewed 3 units with remote pagers. The winner was made by Taylor. But it doesn't display temp on the remote, it signals when the meat gets within 10 degrees of set temp and then again when the meat reaches set temp. I think it was only about 22 bucks. The single thermocouple plugs into the base.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedje View Post
    Question about your new ThermoWorks. I have one too (not same brand tho) and it is wireless so I can place the probe into the meat. The probe connects to a transmitter and I can take the receiver with me in the house. My question to your is ... Do you just insert the probe periodically when you open the smoker to test the temperature? Or, do you somehow thread the probe into the smoker and leave it in the meat so you don't have to open the smoker each time you want to test the temp?

Curious to know.
    Sorry, just saw this post. I leave the probe(s) in the meat, wires threaded through the smoke hole. New thermo works great. Remote reading was nice, but not a must for me. I just leave the thermometer on all the time, and just periodically check it. It does have an alarm on one of the sensors, although I'm around enough to check the temp.

Nice thing about this unit, is that I also purchased a third probe that plugs directly into the unit with no wire, and I use as a instant read temp for cooking in the kitchen too.
    SmokinTex 1400. Smokin since 2012
    See my PID modifications here.