Thread: New 1400

Thumbs up New 1400

Good evening all.

I just purchased a 1400 on Friday. I have no experience with smokers but plenty with grills. Being a guy from South Louisiana now living in the western slope of Colorado, i really missed the smoked sausage Tasso etc. I seasoned the smoker yesterday and gave it a run today. I smoked a whole chicken and 4 links of fresh andouille from a local market. The chicken was extremely moist and the sausage had a great smoked flavor. I am planning on packing some sausage to smoke with elk meat I harvested last fall. Any suggestions regarding times and temp would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I sent an email to customer care this afternoon with a few questions expecting a reply in the next couple days. The marketing rep answered in 30 minutes!! If that is how this company operates I believe I made the correct choice in product.

I look forward to learning from all folks on the forum.

Thanks,
    A

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Welcome, Zepola!
    Can't offer help on sausage, but others will.
    Can suggest a few other things, though. Get a good notebook and use it to record cook times, temps, wood type and amount, and how you liked the results.
    Try using chunk wood rather than chips.
    Get a good remote read thermometer. Temp is where it's at, time is only a general guide.
    Buy a gym membership. You're gonna need it with the wonderful food that's going to come out of this unit.
    Ask questions. There are a lot of folks here willing to share their knowledge. We want you to succeed.

Smoke on!

Zepola,

What Bigwalleye said

I second your notion on customer care. Second to none.

Welcome to the family!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	262

Thank you both for your replies and the welcome. I smoked my first pork shoulder last weekend and it was awesome! It was 8lbs and took 18 1/2 hrs. Well worth the wait. I look forward to more great tips and techniques.

Best regards.
    Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Great to hear. No surprise!

Happy to hear of your success. This forum is a wealth of experience and knowledge. Soak it up.

Welcome again, to the family. Glad you are here.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all