Thread: Beer can chicken-newbie needs ur 2 cents!!

Default Beer can chicken-newbie needs ur 2 cents!!

Hello fellow smokers..jus purchased model 1460 & seasoned grill already..i have 2 whole fryers about 5-6 lbs ea,would like to do the beer can smoke if anyone has their 2 cents for me, chx has been in the frig overnite with a dry rub soaking in, i'm thinking 200 degrees for 6 hrs...advice pls thx in advance

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I think you're on track, but I'd recommend a couple tweaks. You're looking for 165 internal in the breast or thigh. I'd run the smoker at 225. I've done cornish hens that took 5 1/2 hours at 225 to reach temp. For whole chickens, I'd plan a little more time. I'd use something mild like apple or pear, and a couple ounces of dry chunks as a starting point.

If you're actually going to "beer can" them, plan on even more time, but I don't think this smoker needs more moisture. Possibly inject them, but I'd try it first without the beer can.

I encourage keeping good records, using chunks rather than chips, and asking questions.

Welcome to the forum, and Smoke On!

What Jim said.... nailed it.

And tell us how it comes out!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I agree with Jim.....but I would run them at 235 and use the thermometer in the breasts. JMO

BillyBob

Forgot....welcome to the forum!!!
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

Also, found this interesting article on beer can chicken..... food for thought

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_...n_chicken.html
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thx for the tips,everyone.....long story short,i probably did a nono, part of the cooking process i covered the breathing hole w/a bowl to increase moistness....cooked for about 4 hours @ 225,and used 2 chunks of hickory wood,weight unsure of but i eyeballed the size somewhat to mimic the break in wood chunks size that came w/smoker...pulled chx at 4 hours, horrified that chx looked like someone took purple & blk spray paint and went to town on the chx, was almost unrecognizable .Proceeded to sample skin as i luv the stuff,tasted a little funky going down, and the chx meat was done,juicy but tasted beer funky...later,i didnt feel good and lets just say the skin left me 20 min later. Dont think i'm going to try beer chx recipe anytime soon till i hear frm the blog on a step by step recipe,dunno if it was a combo of the type beer i used,to too much wood( i will weigh next time) and definitely WILL NOT cover the breathe hole at all during cook process..thx for the feedback

Thanks, Surfah, for providing feedback.

I've stopped using the "beercan method", opting instead for a good brine and rub.