Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Back Ribs

Default Baby Back Ribs

First time using the Smokintex pro series 1100 hundred and I,m going to try my hand at Baby Back Ribs. I have been using a charcoal smoker and doing the foil after two hours. wish me luck.

Welcome to the forum and good luck!

I'm a simple guy - 225 for 6 hours, apple or cherry. Bam!

Can't wait to hear about your cook!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Finished my ribs and I am very disappointed in them. They came out very dry. I,m re-wrapping them with apple juice and see if that will help.

What temp and how long?

Just as important - where did you get your baby backs?

Keep good notes, noting what works and what does not.

I set the temp at 250 but it never. I had a temp probe sticking down through the hole where the comes out. cooked them for 5 hours.

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

One of the "classic" methods is "3-2-1". Try next time for 3 hours at 225 unwrapped, then 2 hours wrapped in foil, then 1 hour back on the racks unwrapped. If your rub is more of a sugar base, increase the time before foiling or you'll lose most of the glaze to the moisture created by the foil. I'd also recommend a little lower temp, like 210 to 225.

Try chunks of wood rather than chips, and keep good notes. If nothing else, by experimentation, you'll know what you don't like, which is almost as important.

Did some baby backs with Cherry/Hickory mix....Awesome!!!!!!

Outstanding. I love smoking with cherry, apple, and pecan, depending on the product I'm smoking.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

First try at Baby Backs tonight went well. Was going to go with the 3-2-1 but I noticed the ribs appeared dry when I took them out after 3 hours so I wrapped them and let them go 3 hours wrapped in foil. Bingo, they came out great!

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

The foil does a favor, but it can be a little bit of an enemy too.
    Foil holds in the moisture, drives up the temp, but can make the ribs too tender and the moisture works against any rub, but esp. the sugar based ones.
    Running shorter foil times with a little "dry out" time at the end reduces the rub flavore loss and stiffens em up just a little.

Try 4, 1 1/4, and 3/4. Thats a little compromise, but if I foil, that's my go to. All with a 225 temp
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!