Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boston Butt

Awesome! Please post pictures of your graduation smoke. Thanks and happy smokin!

I'll be smoking my first butt Friday its about 9lbs. I injected with apple juice, vinegar, salt and accent last night. Do I need to trim alot of the fat cap and how long of a cook should I be prepared for if I cook at 225 or 250?

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

I would run it at 250, not trim the fat cap, with a target temp of 190 to slice it or 200-203 to pull it. Typically, I'll run something like 16-18 hours, a lot will depend on how dense the meat is, how much you injected into it. You can always turn the temp down on the smoker and hold it for a number of hours if need be. Se a thread from me : "Crisis Averted" for more detail.
    You'll give up a little bark by not trimming, but you'll be juicier, which is a fair trade in my book.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Jim, a question for you....

I seem to recall your stating you like to use 3-4 charcoal briquettes in the smoke box. Any particular type or brand? Does it need to be hardwood charcoal or will the average stuff from Kingsford work....?
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

If you can find lump charcoal, great, but I'm using a bag of Kingsford pretty methodically, and I'm very happy with the results. Seems like it enhances the smoke flavor and helps contribute to the bark.
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

I have two bags of Kingsford already in my garage.... my only concern was that "lighter-fluid" type odor that seems to burn off after an hour or so of burning charcoal.
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all