Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flat Brisket

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

Samples is what we want, man! Samples!

Congrats on a great looking cook.

Any suggestions for smoking two briskets at once in my 14? Should I put the thermometer in the top one or the bottom one? How much longer should I expect the cooking to take? Yes, I know I should base it on time.... but some approximation would be good. I expect to have two cryovac briskets that are about 9lb each.

I would recommend putting the thermometer in the top one - furthest from the heat. When it hits temp, both are done.

I would estimate 90 minutes per pound. Even for two.

So, if both are 10 lbs, roughly 18 hours. Start the night before, cook all night, eat next day.

Enjoy!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Yea, I agree with DReeves. Cook the brisket long and slow. I've had my best luck planning on 22 hours. I start approximately 22 hours before I want to eat at 200 overnight. Next morning turning it up to 225, and then the last 4-6 hours at 250. Pull it out when the internal temp is 195 or so. I prefer it falling apart vs sliced. Unwrapped the entire time, but with a small pan of water for moisture.
    SmokinTex 1400. Smokin since 2012
    See my PID modifications here.

Well, my briskets turned out to be just ver 7lb each. They didn't have any bigger ones. I think I'll go for an 18hr or so smoke. I'll be serving at 4pm or so Sunday so counting an hour for resting I'll start it off at 8 or 9pm Saturday at 200 and see where it gets in the morning. I guess I'll try the moisture pan, too.