Thread: Simple smoked chicken legs and thighs

Default Simple smoked chicken legs and thighs

10% brine solution: (1 liter of water, 100mg of salt, 1/4 cup molasses).
    Rub: 2 tbs paprika, 1 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.

Warm brine solution on the stove, stirring until all ingredients dissolve. Cool brine in the refrigerator for a few hours.

Brine chicken parts for 2 hours in the refrigerator inside a ziplock bag with the air removed.

Dry chicken, apply rub both underneath and on top of skins.

Stack chicken in smoker on 3 racks so each rack bastes the chicken below it. (4 pieces on each rack). I put 4 thighs on the top rack because they tend not to dry out as much as the drumsticks.

I used peach wood to smoke for about 1.5-2 hours @ 250 till the internal temp reached 165F.

Finish chicken on grill till skin is crispy and brown or simply remove the skin before serving.

Wow, great recipe.

Thanks for sharing, DFW
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I tried this this evening with a rack f chicken thighs and 2oz of apple @200 for two hours and then about an hour @250 until it got to 175. Then a minute or two on my grill to crisp it up a little. Wow that was good! I never would have thought to use allspice like that. Delicious! Thanks!

peachwood?

Should I gather that came from your backyard?

The key is to brine the chicken for several hours if not more. Without the brine the chicken comes out a bit dry/rubbery in my opinion.