Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big brisket timing question...

Xyzzy,

Welcome to the family. I see you are receiving stellar guidance, so carry on!

I usually cook my brisket and pork shoulders @ 225/250.... both to an internal temp of 203..... for pulling. I have stopped using foil - aka the "Texas Crutch". I love my bark, and it softens too much. To accommodate for the extra time, I simply start earlier and hold in the SmokinTex.

Can't wait to hear how everything turned out!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

I just pulled the foil and the dry rub bark was pretty wet but definitely caked to the meat and not the foil. I lst less than 5%. I've got it back on at 225 and will leave it for an hour, take it out and let it rest for 30min and then serve. Can't wait!

I really expected this to take 13 hours, or I'd not have put it on so early. I know better for next time -- the cryo-packs at Costco may be 9lb, but they're not super thick... Can't wait for next time and I've not even eaten this one yet!

Xyzzy....after you wrap it in foil....wrap it in some insulation such as towels and put in a cooler. It will keep for 2-4 hrs with no problem.

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"

After an hour more in the smoker without foil, I removed the brisket, wrapped it in foil, and let it rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile I got the potatoes out, cooked the unhusked corn on the grill, and got all the other food ready. Then I unmasked the brisket and began slicing... that 12" knife I just had t buy a few months ago sure came in handy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brisket-16-aug-2013d.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	278

I actually got quite a nice bark. It was just a little moist but it held together, stayed on the meat and was quite tasty. It seems the three charcoal briquettes I used also gave a bit of a smoke ring. And the flavour... everyone loved it! When we were all done, there were two small pieces left, and those disappeared once people realized there actually was some left. Moisture wise, I think it was about as good as possible given beef that, while choice, was probably leaner than what I really wanted. I've been making corned beef for years but my trusted source for briskets closed a while back.

For next time... better timing (this cut clearly didn't need the expected 13 hours), perhaps better meat (If I can find it), perhaps more charcoal? If you have any suggestions, please let me know!