Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Brisket Cook = success (little slices of heaven)

Post First Brisket Cook = success (little slices of heaven)

Hello,
    Since I have been a consumer/lurker of the forum for a little while, I figured it's time to start giving back. I just did my first Brisket in the SmokinTex 1400 over the weekend and thought I would share my success!

Purchased a 9lb brisket from Sam's Club Saturday evening:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brisket1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	293

I decided to Inject, I recently bought a Bayou classic from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KDZ1VA/..._26725410_item

Inject photo here:

Name:	inject.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	294

I used Myron Mixon's Beef injection recipe, which is a beef base and beef bullion powder mixture. I also used a dry rub which I applied right before putting in on the smoker. I used the SuckleBusters Competition BBQ rub which can be purchased from the SmokinTex website. I marinated in the cold garage for 8 hours. Put in the garage at 8:00 p.m. and then put on the smoker (fat side up) at 4:30 a.m the next morning, which you can see below, it's cold and dark at 4:30 a.m!

Insert into smoker at 4:30 a.m. pic:

Name:	insert.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	295

I used around 4oz of wood (3 - 4 small chunks of wood for those that don't know the oz's). I decided to go for a bolder smoke taste and use half hickory wood and half mesquite wood. The only other thing worth noting at this point, is that I was going to try to go for the smoke ring and add a few charcoal pieces, but forgot to buy charcoal when I was at the store, meh no big deal!

Set temp to a little bit past 225 and set the timer for 12 hours for a rough guideline. I am using temp probes to monitor both the internal smoker cabinet temp as well as the internal meat temp. I would highly recommend the temp probes as the internal smoker temperatures fluctuate greatly during any cook and you can really see what is going on with both the meat as well as the smoker temp.

I pulled the brisket off when it his the 197 internal temp mark (12.5 hours). I wrapped in foil, then wrapped in blanket to setup a little bit (45 mins). We also weren't quite ready to eat dinner yet. The brisket turned out perfect, everyone loved the meal. I tested on my in-laws :-) who were in town visiting. They raved about the meat and my wife thought it turned out excellent as well! My personal opinion, I think it was delicious and I hit the mark for my first attempt! Not sure I would change a thing.

Final product pictures:

Name:	brisket-done1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	63.8 KB 
ID:	296

Name:	brisket-done2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	297

Hope this helps others that are looking at doing brisket! Let me know if you have any suggestions/feedback or of course questions.
    Take care,
    Scott

Cedar, MN (but still not far enough from the Cities)

ssauer,
    Welcome to the thread, and wow, what a great looking cook! and GREAT documentation!

I've been here a couple years and have always been fearful of a brisket, maybe because of the cost, although I shouldn't be. I was always afreaid of the "epic fail" on a high dollar piece of meat, although given my results thus far, that's a pretty lame excuse.

You've given me a challenge to get a move on, so thank you!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Awesome documentation, Scott! Wow!

In reading through your items, I may just have to try a few of those items on my next brisket. I, too, had a fear of briskets. Then I did a lot of reading of recipes, such as yours, now I am pretty consistent.

The only thing I do different than you did is this: I place the fat side down, "between the heat and the meat". This helps shield the meat from getting "too hot". Maybe it's just a myth, I dunno.

And I lied, (2 things different). I also cook my briskets to 205, seems to me something magical happens to the fat and muscle tissues just past 200. I've read where several others found this as well.

Congrats on your success out of the gate!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thanks DReeves. I kept hearing fat side up a lot as the fat renders is cooks (juices) down into the meat below. Would be interesting to see a poll on up vs down!

Anytime, Scott. Feel free to call me Darren.

Here is a great website, FULL of incredible methods, procedures, and recipes. The particular link below, about 3/4 down, discusses fat up or down. I would love to see a survey, maybe a survey monkey? Let's discuss. Anyway, I believe you will find a 50/50 mix, at least that is my assumption.

I use the recipe from this site called "Big Bad Beef Rub". I just ran out, so I am going to try the one you reference in your post.

Bookmark this site, incredible information with science to back it up:

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/b...s_brisket.html

Welcome to the forum!
    Remember: If it weren't for marriage, men would go through life thinking they had no faults at all

Thanks Darren. I think you can create poll's on the forum. I'll have to look.

Speaking of the forum, it's too bad they limit picture uploads per post. I was going to add a lot more photos but alas, you can only do 5....

Pictures schmictures.

Samples is what we want, man! SAMPLES!

And a google chrome of your house and your next scheduled cook date!
    I believe in catch and release fishing. I don't want to EAT 'em all, I just want to GREET 'em all!

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by bigwalleye View Post
    Pictures schmictures.

Samples is what we want, man! SAMPLES!

And a google chrome of your house and your next scheduled cook date!

Darren,
    Perhaps an indepth case study is in order here. We could appoint ourselves to a blue ribbon panel, meet outside Chicago, and road trip from there....

Ladies and Gent's....this is the basic cook of a brisket...prepare your meat the night before and seal tight, add whatever you like as flavor, start at 235 deg and after the meat reaches 170...internal...turn it up to 350....and pull it at 200 if you want pulled pork.....or 195 if you want sliced. JMO

BillyBob
    "IT'S 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE"